Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

mike

Call Me a Cab
DanielJones said:
Wow! That shirt is exactly like the Converse One Star shirt I picked up at Target. Pockets, buttons & throat latch. Uncanny.
51jf67cn-6L._AA260_.jpg
51HBPgYGXvL._AA260_.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Not really. The Converse shirt is cool, don't get me wrong. But take a good look at the buttons, the pockets, the construction, etc... the Deckard's in the details and e-worker's are where it's at. ;)

mattfink

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
what kinda undershirt ya got there, Matt?

It's a Johnson Motor's t-shirt underneath....Catalina print I think. Lucky Brand makes some plain ones that are very similar, but run a little large.

mattfink

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
Wow! That shirt is exactly like the Converse One Star shirt I picked up at Target. Pockets, buttons & throat latch.

I have the Target one (got a gift cert. from my employer)...not even close in material, quality or construction.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
DanielJones said:
Wow! That shirt is exactly like the Converse One Star shirt I picked up at Target. Pockets, buttons & throat latch. Uncanny.
Cheers!

Dan

I beg to differ. I have both Target shirts and there is hardly a resemblence. The e-workers' shirt has period style detail. The Target shirt is a current-day utility shirt with a chinstrap.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
mattfink said:
It's a Johnson Motor's t-shirt underneath....Catalina print I think. Lucky Brand makes some plain ones that are very similar, but run a little large.

That's what I thought. I have all the cool Lucky Brand shirts they made before they got a little crazy with the newer shirts. I also scored the plain ones, which have a really nice vintage feel and vibe.

mattfink

Practically Family
marineabilly said:
That's what I thought. I have all the cool Lucky Brand shirts they made before they got a little crazy with the newer shirts. I also scored the plain ones, which have a really nice vintage feel and vibe.

Unfortunately, it seems like the newer JoMo shirts are shorter than before....not good for my macro-torso. Rising Sun in Pasadena sells some really killer t-shirts as well, but they are stupid expensive without even any printing on them.

McFarlaneNYC

Familiar Face
Just wondering if anyone on here knows where I can find another sack coat, like this one from E-workers.
http://www.e-workers.net/store/26/i2.htm
I have been trying to find them on places like ebay, but all I get is Civil War uniform sack coats.

If some of you guys are interested, Jcrew has a new "utility" shirt out comes in about 4 colors and they look rather nice.
A great website I think for good "workwear shirts"

http://www.fieldandstreambrand.com/

thanks

Charlie

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mike said:
There's a woman posting in this thread. :eek: :p

That brings to mind this question: are their many women into this stuff today? Are there examples of original or repro female-intended work wear items?
I've seen a few workwear inspired chambray shirts for women this season. Ralph Lauren makes a nice one. No chinstraps or exciting pocket details, but still obviously based on classic workshirts. I doubt they're being marketed that way though; apparently chambray itself is going to be a big trend this spring :eek:

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
flat-top said:
I've seen a few workwear inspired chambray shirts for women this season. Ralph Lauren makes a nice one. No chinstraps or exciting pocket details, but still obviously based on classic workshirts. I doubt they're being marketed that way though; apparently chambray itself is going to be a big trend this spring :eek:

Sorry to spook you all! :D
I actually need to wear workwear sometimes, and the vintage workwear is so much nicer. It's hard to break down stages and sound equipment in 40's platforms. Also, I gently push all the boys that work with my stage show to dress in period looking workwear, so I love the photos posted here. And yes, sometimes I channel the Natty Gann, Louise Brooks in disguise look (well... I try). I like the boxcar riding gals photo. I hope it's OK if I peek in once in a while.
BTW, funnily, I just found this J.Crew shirt for women. The smaller photo shows a chinstrap, but I don' really see it in these photos.
Selvedge Chambray
Search Page

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I have a question on that J. Crew workshirt (male or female, doesn't matter). There is a J. Crew outlet near me and when I was in there a few weeks ago they had a bunch of those men's chinstrap shirts. Sadly, they are way too short for my tall spindly frame. :) Anyway, and I'm not sure how to put this nicely, but the fabric they were made from was thinner than some notebook paper I have. If I wore one of them doing "work" (like splitting firewood or framing a polebarn), I'd have that shirt torn to shreds in an hour. Is the fabric these J. Crew shirts made from anywhere close to the weight of an authentic vintage workshirt? I have been known to sew some clothing for hobbies of mine, and I think I'm going to look for a workshirt pattern from the early 20th century and make a shirt that is long enough. Anyone know where to find such a pattern?

andy b.

mattfink

Practically Family
flat-top said:
One can only imagine the treasures that lie within this magazine:
618HA6FxWqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I've got this one....first half is dedicated to Barbour and duffle coats (not my taste), but the second half has some decent stuff. A lot of LOC pics mingled in with vintage/repro workwear. Somebody said the J. Crew store in NYC had them for $50.

mattfink

Practically Family
McFarlaneNYC said:
Just wondering if anyone on here knows where I can find another sack coat, like this one from E-workers.
http://www.e-workers.net/store/26/i2.htm
I have been trying to find them on places like ebay, but all I get is Civil War uniform sack coats.

If some of you guys are interested, Jcrew has a new "utility" shirt out comes in about 4 colors and they look rather nice.
A great website I think for good "workwear shirts"

http://www.fieldandstreambrand.com/

thanks

Charlie

You might try searching for "shop coat" or canvas jacket.

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
flat-top said:
One can only imagine the treasures that lie within this magazine:
618HA6FxWqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I kinda like the Mono workwear books, at least this one had a translated description of some very nice stuff in Nigel Cabourn's collection. I bought a few Japanese mags before and I always found the sellers on Ebay picked out and posted the best stuff already. So I usually just steal the pics off the Internet.

mattfink

Practically Family
Mose - been on there many times, amazing blogs....their stuff is unfortunately too small for me for the most part (hats might fit, I wear a 7 1/2 and they seem to make some in that size).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy