Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction classic workwear

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
flat-top said:
Has anyone picked up the Gap "destructed" khakis yet? I got pair of the "Cadet" style which is pretty cool. The others have paint splotches and oil stains etc, but the khaki Cadets have a hole repaired with a chambray patch. They were $25 a couple of weeks ago and I had to go for it.
They're not online for some reason, but here's the other style they were merchandised with at the store:
http://www.gap.com/browse/product.d.../www.gap.com/products/mens-clothing-C5065.jsp

I'm confused, why would one want to buy pants with paint splotches on them?

Doug C

Practically Family
The newest sweatshirts from The Gap look great on their website BUT my local store does not have all of them present (the cooler looking ones), however the ones that are there are really thin feeling. Not substantial like old sweats used to be, but more like a summer weight or something. I think the one mattfink posted is one that I saw in the flesh.... are the rest of that vintage sweatshirt line just as thin ?

mattfink

Practically Family
Doug C said:
The newest sweatshirts from The Gap look great on their website BUT my local store does not have all of them present (the cooler looking ones), however the ones that are there are really thin feeling. Not substantial like old sweats used to be, but more like a summer weight or something. I think the one mattfink posted is one that I saw in the flesh.... are the rest of that vintage sweatshirt line just as thin ?

I think some of the sweats are thicker. You are right, the one I posted is like a summer weight or long sleeve t-shirt.

JimWagner

Practically Family
jetgirl said:
A welder's hat like this? They are still being made.

41i7Er3nCTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Traditional welders cap from Amazon.

The funny thing is, you usually wear these backward, because you have a full mask on and the bill prevents the "sparks" from tumbling down the back of your shirt.

There were all kinds of welder's caps. Most of the welders I worked beside in the mid 60's (in my railroad days rebuilding boxcars - see, we weren't all hippies) wore quilted caps like this to cushion the helmet straps. Because the brim sloped down they usually wore this type cap frontwards so the brim protected the forehead.

doo_header_r10_c2.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wool chinstrap shirt???

Does anybody know of a company making an affordable re-pop chinstrap shirt in a lighter wool? Something heavier (warmer) than chambray, but maybe not quite as heavy as pendelton wool?

mike

Call Me a Cab
Guttersnipe said:
Does anybody know of a company making an affordable re-pop chinstrap shirt in a lighter wool? Something heavier (warmer) than chambray, but maybe not quite as heavy as pendelton wool?

What size are you? I have a size large lvc bunkhouse shirt that would fit your description to a "t"!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
caps...

OK, so I think I found a nice vintage British wool flat cap (not an 8-panel), snap brim. Problem is, it has a little buckle on the back, like an old baseball cap. Does this point it to being later than the 60's or such? This all looks good, not modern or anything. But, will workwear aficionados snicker at me? :) The good thing about the buckle is that the cap is already small, and now I can adjust it down another 1/2" or so to fit my tiny head.

mike

Call Me a Cab
jetgirl said:
OK, so I think I found a nice vintage British wool flat cap (not an 8-panel), snap brim. Problem is, it has a little buckle on the back, like an old baseball cap. Does this point it to being later than the 60's or such? This all looks good, not modern or anything. But, will workwear aficionados snicker at me? :) The good thing about the buckle is that the cap is already small, and now I can adjust it down another 1/2" or so to fit my tiny head.

Not necessarily. Once upon a time there were indeed buckles in front (on top of the brim, hidden by the fabric sitting on the brim) and in the back. What is the strap made of? Any pictures?

Doug C

Practically Family
The buckle's not the problem, but that opening looks a little strange... though I don't know if it's an authentic detail - I doubt it though. Otherwise, if the rest looks nice and it's not too expensive, then go for it.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just got back from seeing Shutter Island. In one part Leonardo DiCaprio is wearing some pretty fantastic vintage looking workwear.

mike

Call Me a Cab
jetgirl said:
il_fullxfull119207188.jpg

I'm hoping it doesn't look too "tweed-y".

The buckle looks good, but the hole looks like a modern interpretation on a classic item. Depending on price, I'd be wary. There are a lot of great looking caps out there! :)

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
It's pretty inexpensive. The problem for me is finding a 21" cap that won't overwhelm. And not so tweed-y. But I hadn't really seen an opening like that before, so that is why I asked. I might keep looking, or maybe I'll just decide to go with it. :) Thanks.

il_fullxfull.119207117.jpg

il_fullxfull.119207499.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
I do think it's very nice! Tha cap just has a feature that doubtfully would have been seen in the golden era. What's wrong with tweed anyways?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass