Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction Vintage Neckties?

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
It's definitely an advantage, nobody around here can tell a 40's tie from a 90's tie, which is why so many end up mixed in at the Goodwills, Salvation Armies, etc. I've gotten handpainteds and made in California ties here for $3 and under.

Every once in a blue moon... I find a great tie at a Los Angeles Goodwill or Salvation Army. There are just way too many collectors, vintage clothing store owners, foreign buyers, costumers, etc... In fact, I don't remember the last time I found a good one. :(

I could see where geographical location would be an issue for most people (especially all you left and east coasties) in finding good ties, so that might warrant reproduction. We should've started reproducing them and clothing specifically for the Japanese market so all of the original examples could stay here!

Another thing that bothers be about the japanese collectors is that they don't seem to be trying to go for overall looks that were popular at that time. They are so obsessed with having the best vintage items, yet they sport them with long hair and goatees! :eusa_doh: I just don't get it!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree. A good vintage look starts with the haircut. It doesn't have to be radical short in the back and sides (as in a skin fade)...but still short. The vintage overall impression can be achieved much easier this way

Undertow

I wonder...

...if one were trying to reproduce ties on a budget that appealed to a broad range of folks, why not go the way of most current repro attempts and sacrifice fabric for cost? e.g. those "oxford bags" repros shown off in another thread that are being marketed to the swing dance community, but that are entirely poly. Or I've seen similar attempts from companies like Botany 500 with shoes and suits.

So instead of silk, use rayon. Or perhaps repro a wool/rayon blend? Or rayon/poly? Or would this sacrifice too much, in your opinion?

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
I wonder...

...if one were trying to reproduce ties on a budget that appealed to a broad range of folks, why not go the way of most current repro attempts and sacrifice fabric for cost? e.g. those "oxford bags" repros shown off in another thread that are being marketed to the swing dance community, but that are entirely poly. Or I've seen similar attempts from companies like Botany 500 with shoes and suits.

So instead of silk, use rayon. Or perhaps repro a wool/rayon blend? Or rayon/poly? Or would this sacrifice too much, in your opinion?

As far as using poly is concerned, I think It'll come down to how people feel about the physical feel of the tie. Because let's be honest, some modern blends look incredibly vintage... but then you touch them and they feel like sh**! :eusa_doh:

Would that matter, is the question? I'm sure it will to some, not to others. I might be fine with it as long as it looks authentic, and assuming the material doesn't affect the drape of the tie or the appearance of the knot.

I would love to go with authentic materials, especially silk! Imagine reproducing some amazing Countess Mara-esque neckties in all silk!!

YETI

A-List Customer
I have been pondering this for the past few weeks and figured I would present the idea to you.

Do you think it is possible to have your favorite vintage necktie (I am speaking specifically of the wide, printed variety from the late 40's and very early 50's) reproduced? I come across so many wonderful prints that I cannot purchase because of holes, fraying, etc. I began to think, "would it be possible to have the necktie scanned at high resolution, have the flaws "repaired" via Photoshop or otherwise, re-printed or silk screened on like material, and completely re-made?"

It probably sounds like a pipe dream, but I figured if Toyo Enterprises can do it for Hawaiian shirts, why not for a necktie? I know a couple of bigger companies tried it in the past with some success, but I'm talking about doing it on a small scale.

I know that authentic vintage neckties are so unique that some collectors would frown upon wearing reproductions. I pondered this as well... but, for me, it's all about evoking an era, vintage or reproduction.

What do you think?

In the early 90s, there was a company in Japan that did in fact produce vintage inspired "Bold Look" era neck-wear. My best friend owned a couple forking over $90 for each. And this was over 20 years ago. Also, there were the St. Pierre ties from the 70s and 80s which had a more novelty print.

I found this tie from the mentioned maker in Japan on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sil...842777997?pt=US_Mens_Ties&hash=item416388b58d

Edward

Bartender
I'm planning a small batch for somepoint later this year. Fabric is the main issue.

If you're looking a specific pattern to copy, just half an hour ago I discovered one of my absolute favourite ties has been destroyed by moths (as is silk or some such, don't think it can be rewoven or darned...). Would do almost anything to have this one replicated! :cry:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I can see this happening more easily than hats. But there will always be naysayers.

You know what I'd do? I'd repro good designs in nonexistent color schemes. I can't tell you how many ties I've owned that had great patterns, geometrics, etc., but were difficult to wear because the colors were too lurid. Think brown/yellow/green, maroon/yellow/putty, and of course, comic-book blue with candy-apple red.

Last edited:

Fly Boy

One of the Regulars
If you're looking a specific pattern to copy, just half an hour ago I discovered one of my absolute favourite ties has been destroyed by moths (as is silk or some such, don't think it can be rewoven or darned...). Would do almost anything to have this one replicated! :cry:

Edward, if you could possibly scan it or get some pictures I'll see what I can do - I'm trying to locate a good silk printer at the moment. I may have to do the screen printing by hand through 'contacts' at the Art School. A bit less expensive but more labour intensive than designing the patterns on computer. And a bit less precise. Now I'm feeling a little like a black market tie spiv...

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Reproducing Printed Ties from the Bold Look era. What would it take?

First of all, I have a background in the screenprint industry. I worked as artist and art director for a major imprinted sportswear company for about six years, working directly with the screenprinting department and doing all the artwork and mechanical color separations by hand just like they would have been done in the 1940s and 50s (these were the days before computer graphics were commonplace). However, there is a lot I would still need to learn about the process, such as the inks/dyes used on the printed silk are obviously different from the heavy plastisols we used on sportswear. What type are they and how were they applied?

My idea is to reproduce some general vintage-look designs, as well as some specific ties famously worn in the movies. Maybe to even set up a fabric printer of some sort like an ink jet, that would allow me to do one-offs and short runs on demand. If I could find a good way to print the material correctly, having them sewn would be no problem. Can anyone lend any knowledge and/or advice to this? Thanks.

Some of the bold look ties have patterns in the weave also that might be hard to reproduce - but the shapes and size of the tie as compared to the current ones would make it a limited market. Todays ties are so long their also the new codpiece.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Yes, I fully realize the market would be limited, just like that of some of the vintage-style clothiers that advertise on this site. But I think it might be a good niche. This is especially true of I can find a way to feasibly do one-offs and short-runs to order. The patterns in the weave would not necessarily need to be 100% correct and long as the look was similar and flattering to the tie's graphics. I could also offer the option of modern or vintage length.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I just read the thread. Thanks for the info. I have done a bit of initial research since my original posting, and have found several companies that will digitally print one-off or short-run designs fairly cheaply as long as I supply the digital artwork ready to print. Doing it on absolutely vintage-correct fabric might be a problem, but I think I can find a very close substitute. Correct construction would be no problem, because I can control that 100%. I'd just have to autopsy a few old ties to figure out the patterns.

I'm also looking to see now if there exists a digital fabric printer that would be affordable to buy. There are a variety of things I could see a market for beyond just the ties, if I had my own printer with a large enough print area to do it. Of course I could always screenprint them myself if it came down to that. It would be much more time consuming, but very cheap and easy to set up.

Yes, original vintage ties can still be had cheaply - often for less than the cost of a brand new modern tie. I have picked up some of my best for a couple bucks each at thrift stores. However, how many of us would like a near perfect reproduction of a particular tie used in a film? How about Bogey's tie, or Jimmy Stewart's, or Cary Grant's. You're not likely to run across those patterns at your local Goodwill. I think some people might be willing to pay a premium for those.

sproily

Practically Family
I have a friend who might start making reproductions. Starting with available fabrics and going on to custom-woven jaquard silks if there is enough demand.

Flat Foot Floey

tumblr_midsnlEAUv1r61qgvo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_midsnlEAUv1r61qgvo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_midsnlEAUv1r61qgvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_midsnlEAUv1r61qgvo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_midsnlEAUv1r61qgvo1_1280.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
. . . have found several companies that will digitally print one-off or short-run designs fairly cheaply as long as I supply the digital artwork ready to print . . .

Having spent 10 years as a screen printer, I feel that I can speak with some authority when I say digital printing will not result in a finished product that replicates the look of vintage printed ties.

Amazing ties Flo! If these are for sale somewhere, please do post a link. I would love the blue striped tie.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm