Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction Vintage Neckties?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PS: I just searched on ebay. The RRL ties seem to start at 49€ and go up to 120€. More than I ever paid for vintage but I bet they find their fans.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I know this may sound absolutely nuts to some of you diehard collectors, but I actually find the large majority of vintage neckties not very appealing (at least the ones I run into here in Los Angeles). Most of them seem to lack presentable colors, design and balance (just my opinion, of course). When I first started collecting, I was buying just about everything. It took a few years to realize that most of my ties were not very appealing to me, so I sold most of them, and I feel that my relatively slim collection is the better for it. Very rarely do I find a vintage tie that works for me. I try to purchase ones with suitable colors (browns, green, blues and grays, IMO) that work with my complexion and height. I am quite short and have to be very careful not to buy ties that when tied to proper length, part of the main design doesn't end up going into the knot!

It does seem that for about the past two years there has been a decline in vintage neckties here in L.A. (particularly vibrant-colored Bold Look ones). I used to quite regularly score various colors and designs, but now it is mostly browns and sometimes maroons that I find; rarely do I see a blue, multi-colored, or hand-painted tie anymore. Even when it comes to thin ties, it's been fairly "slim" pickings lately. This might be due to lack of availability, or it could just be that collectors are getting there before me...

Last edited:

DamianM

Vendor
It does seem that for about the past two years there has been a decline in vintage neckties here in L.A. (particularly vibrant-colored Bold Look ones). I used to quite regularly score various colors and designs, but now it is mostly browns and sometimes maroons that I find; rarely do I see a blue, multi-colored, or hand-painted tie anymore. Even when it comes to thin ties, it's been fairly "slim" pickings lately. This might be due to lack of availability, or it could just be that collectors are getting there before me...

Ive had some luck in scoring about 40 neckties in all colors and designs. alot of handpainted.
some times for 50 cents... Maybe you aren't looking hard enough.

DamianM

Vendor
I stay away from vintage swap meets. I just go to those for site seeing but never intend to buy anything unless its a really good deal.

I go to unassuming- distant- middle of the week swap meets. Hit and miss but when I hit, Its a home run.

Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey

At the FL facebook page these guys are talking about their ties and describing one of them as "from the archives of the British, 1930"
http://www.passaggiocravatte.com/

Someone got experience with them?

425001_425655627533521_1378662947_n.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

Not really for us...I agree.

But I am optimistic. There are a few expensive repro brands, they get watched by trend scouts (or whatever...fashion bloggers) and eventually things could catch on.
See the chinstrap chambray shirt and some other stuff.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
With the whole Gatsby thing who knows what might appear? I certainly wouldn't pay 60 quid for a modern interpretation but there'll be plenty that do.....I like my ties for a pound or two and have had some success but not alas in 20's-30's ties as they appear rarely here in the Shires!

Tommy

One of the Regulars
For the thematic ties of paradise and leisure, I really like some of the Tommy Bahama collection. It's not for the vintage purists in construction, texture, sizing, etc. But for floral and leisure themes they are ok with me. And the colors (which my photo shots don't capture) are vivid. They also have a length and material weight that suits my body size 6'2". And lastly, these have all shown up in the thrifts, so the investment has been minimal.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The designs are great, but the prices are about the same as the ties that Nick D. made using vintage silk. And they look much better than printed polyester!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto