Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Respectful way to "dispose" of this?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I was at an estate sale this morning and noticed a plastic bag with a small amount of dog hair. There is a label with the dog's name and date- I am assuming that the former owner (who passed away) loved this dog and this was something sacred to him and was something he kept after it had passed away. I didn't like the idea of it getting tossed around and trashed without some kind of ceremony, because it's what I would want if it had been my dog and house people were in!

Any suggestions? I was thinking of burying it, or throwing it out to sea??

(Yes, some people will think I am nuts for being concerned about this. I am. So.)

solstice

New in Town
PrettySquareGal said:
I was at an estate sale this morning and noticed a plastic bag with a small amount of dog hair. There is a label with the dog's name and date- I am assuming that the former owner (who passed away) loved this dog and this was something sacred to him and was something he kept after it had passed away. I didn't like the idea of it getting tossed around and trashed without some kind of ceremony, because it's what I would want if it had been my dog and house people were in!

Any suggestions? I was thinking of burying it, or throwing it out to sea??

(Yes, some people will think I am nuts for being concerned about this. I am. So.)
you are wonderful to consider the importance of the dog and it's owner. that alone would have been appreciated by them. anyway, a burial anywhere you find convenient and a nice thought for them both would certainly be fine.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i would bury it in my back yard in a flower bed. put a different type of perennial flower over it to mark the spot. that's what my sister and i did every time we buried one of our furry friends after they passed.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I am a big fan of using something that continues to live and grow as a commemoration of a passed spirit. I like the idea of putting it in a flower bed, or get a nice potted plant and repot it with the hair in the soil.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I like Kitty's idea -- have a little ceremony and plant it in your garden under a tree or some bulbs or something perennial.

There's something about discarded pet mementoes that really hits me hard. A few years ago, I noticed a lovely large-format photo of a very handsome cat tossed on a skip at the local dump -- obviously a pet someone had loved very much. I couldn't leave it there, so I brought it home with me, and still have it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
To a lot of people, pets are so dearly cherished, like children... they rely on us for companionship and care. Many of them stay with us longer than many children stay in their parents house, or longer than many of our dearest friends remain with us.

There is a company that will make ceramic dolls in the likeness of your pet. We had 2 cats the whole time I was growing up, and after almost 20 years, when they died, my mother had them cremated and had their ashes put inside 2 dolls that had been made in their likeness.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
It is very thoughtful of you to think of the pet and it's owner, I would've done the same. You are not nuts!

I could see it being scattered about in the wind like a dandelion as well... or natural water source like you said.

I wish I had thought to take some of my pet's fur.

Lizzie, I'm glad you grabbed the kitty picture.
Nikki

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
One of the things I run into at estate sales, auctions, etc is that most of the people are there looking for "inventory." There is nothing wrong with that except that to some, it's all widgets and not the personal effects, cherished possessions and stories of a person. Not to mention history.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
How very thoughtful.

PrettySquareGal said:
I didn't like the idea of it getting tossed around and trashed without some kind of ceremony, because it's what I would want if it had been my dog and house people were in! Any suggestions? I was thinking of burying it, or throwing it out to sea??

As a dog and pet lover of long standing, and an admirer of "random acts of kindness", I applaud your concern. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Obviously such a thing was a) important to the owner for sentiment b) deserving of a better end than a sale! Most vets are also sensitive to such things. I bet if you asked one they'd have suggestions. Our "norm" is cremating remains and scattering them in the mountains. Burial with respect would also be appropriate, I think though some municipalities do have rules about disposal.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
I like Kitty's idea -- have a little ceremony and plant it in your garden under a tree or some bulbs or something perennial.

There's something about discarded pet mementoes that really hits me hard. A few years ago, I noticed a lovely large-format photo of a very handsome cat tossed on a skip at the local dump -- obviously a pet someone had loved very much. I couldn't leave it there, so I brought it home with me, and still have it.

I still have a nicely framed photo of my beloved Kitty Boy.
It hangs in my living room.
I got him when I was 8 and he died when he was 11 from cancer.
He was always my favorite pet untill I got my dog Smokey and my new cat Salem (yes he's black). Animals become part of the family.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
here's what to do...get a jack hammer, some instant concrete and water and a shovel...find a hydrant some where away from people and at night bust up the sidewalk, toss the bag in, meditate or pray or what have you and then fill the hole back up...voila, there ya go...easy as can be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace