Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoring rubber

stillwell

New in Town
Hi guys

I recently purchased a pair of A-6 sheepskin flight boots and I noticed the rubber was a bit stiff
it's still quite malleable, it isn't brittle, but it is stiff and cracks a bit.

is there any way I can rejuvenate the rubber?

Also, they are two left feet, anyone else heard of this predicament?
I know someone who said they're mother (gift from dad, an RAF liason officer at a US base for a few months) had a pair that were two left feet.

thanks!
-Stillwell

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
From what I have read in Sweetings book on AAF gear, once rubber "goes", it is "gone". Things like Armor All might (only MIGHT) slow the process but there is nothing that can reverse it.

Wish it weren't so as I have some stuff like that.

Tom

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
It's just too bad it works that way. I had one of the oxygen masks that had the thin rubber bladder that hung down. In a few years, it just turned to dust and there was no stopping it. If I had an argon filled sealed cabinet, I may have been able to preserve it. Where the hell am I going to get an argon box???

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Silver Dollar,

During the Viet Nam war, they dusted off the old A-8 masks and used them again in transport aircraft. Because of that, repair/replacement parts were made again. My A-8 has a VN-era bladder on it that I found to replace the original that was toast. Not common, but if you keep your eyes open, one might turn up.

Tom

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Thanks Tom for that info. I'll definitely keep my eye out for those. Hopefully they were made from better materials than the WWII bladders. I was even thinking of going to a surgical supply house and getting an old bladder from one of the anesthesia machines but I doubt they'd fit the same.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Silver Dollar,

During the Viet Nam war, they dusted off the old A-8 masks and used them again in transport aircraft. Because of that, repair/replacement parts were made again. My A-8 has a VN-era bladder on it that I found to replace the original that was toast. Not common, but if you keep your eyes open, one might turn up.

Tom
I found a couple A-14 O2 masks on a US government C-130 type acft. Was converted to quick don. This was in the mid 90s. location classified.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thanks Tom for that info. I'll definitely keep my eye out for those. Hopefully they were made from better materials than the WWII bladders. I was even thinking of going to a surgical supply house and getting an old bladder from one of the anesthesia machines but I doubt they'd fit the same.
What price glory has a repop A-8. Will their bladders work? I also heard that most hospitals use the same type green bag. Might want to check with a medical supply company.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have never seen two left boots as an issue type thing. IE my dad was issued these boots and they both were lefts. Maybe got mixed up in a surplus sale years ago or someone had two lefts and wanted to part with em. I have read that gloves were made in different factories. One factory for the left and one for the right, to keep pilfering low. As far as the rubber as stated when it goes it goes. Maybe use neoprene to repair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran