Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reverse Taper Topper?

WEEGEE

Practically Family
This top hat is in a diorama at the New York State Museum. Do you think this was made with a hat block that disassembled and could be removed after blocking?

MFTOPPERWIDE1.jpg

MFTOPPERTIGHT.jpg

jpbales

Practically Family
i thought most nice top hats were made of silk, so a fuzzy wool-looking one would make me think it is some kind of a cheap reproduction, like what metropd said, but honestly, take it as a grain of salt since I'm no expert (not even close!)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
WEEGEE said:
This top hat is in a diorama at the New York State Museum. Do you think this was made with a hat block that disassembled and could be removed after blocking?

Yes, the block consists of several sections. The perimeter sections go in first, then the center. After the hat dries, the center is removed first, then the perimeter pieces.

jpbales

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Yes, the block consists of several sections. The perimeter sections go in first, then the center. After the hat dries, the center is removed first, then the perimeter pieces.

that's cool

Chrome

One of the Regulars
If that is really old and not repro it might be something that gentleman would use in rainy and windy days so better ones wouldn't be ruined. Even then he would be dressed properly.

Even the color is perfect since it ain't dress silk hat or even nice feltone why not break color rule and make it as a piece of statement :)

dnjan

One Too Many
jpbales said:
i thought most nice top hats were made of silk, so a fuzzy wool-looking one would make me think it is some kind of a cheap reproduction, like what metropd said, but honestly, take it as a grain of salt since I'm no expert (not even close!)
Nice top hats are made of fur, with a light nap (not "furry" like the one in the picture). Silk top hats (to my understanding) are an expediency so that they could be more easily stored beneath the seat at the opera.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
dnjan said:
Nice top hats are made of fur, with a light nap (not "furry" like the one in the picture). Silk top hats (to my understanding) are an expediency so that they could be more easily stored beneath the seat at the opera.

Silk satin top hats are still made, both collapsable and not. The collapsable version is the "opera hat" you mention.

There used to be a heavier silk plush material used for daywear top hats. This material is no longer made -- the machinery having been destroyed -- and the vintage hats made from it are rather pricy. I have not examined this material up close and in person, but from a distance or in a photograph it might be mistaken for fur.

Day top hats also were made of other materials such as beaver fur. Today cheap (costume-grade) ones are made of wool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran