Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Good Wear Bronco A-2, Steerhide

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's about time you joined this forum John. Thanks for the pics of all your jackets. It's great to see the RW and the Dubow as I have not seen Goodwear repros of these. The grain is awesome on the RW.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
fit to be fiT

the jacket looks nice in the pix, however, i've always liked things a bit loose...
loose (jackets) is a look that has it's own appeal, and as nice as a-2s look when form-fitted, nothing is all that comfortable as when it gives you a bit of room...
personally, i think getting a size up is the obvious and easy answer if you can get used to a bit roomier look, which actually makes one's shoulders/chest look a bit bigger, so is not at all bad...

with a technically 16" neck (tho i wear a 16 1/2 shirt), and an actual 45" chest, i always go for the XL or 46 sizes in these jackets as my shoulders are that size...it leaves a bit of room around my neck, and waist, and a touch around my chest, but they are truly comfortable, and in fact could arguably be said to make one look more like a 22-year-old enlisted guy (with limits of course...in my case my head of gray) as a larger jacket makes one look a bit smaller (vis a vis the jacket)

so i'd go for a larger size, especially if the jacket is as nice as you say it is...

which brings up another point...i just purchased a distressed cowhide a-2 (i'm sure the cow was distressed being used to make an a-2)...i just liked the cut of the collar better, but cowhide wasn't a leather used in ww2 for these as i understand, so is this considered declasse since it's sooo non-original?

thanks

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Johnny,

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as knowledgeable about WWII A-2s as some on this forum, and please pardon the "off topic" comment, but I am pretty sure cowhide was used in some later A-2 contracts as horsehide became scarce. I am also told that, once tanned, there is no easy way to tell the difference between horse and cow.

Atticus

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
moo

thanks for the hopeful info on the cowhide jackets...i got the uswings distressed leather one, and indeed it is hard to tell it's not goat...but if anyone else knows about the usage of cowhide in ww2 a-2s it would be appreciated, even if i hadn't gotten one, the thread is about the bronco cowhide and i'd love to know if indeed this or any other a-2 was actually made in ww2 in cow

also, just looked at the comparison pix of the original and repro...pretty amazing

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
johnnyjohnny said:
thanks for the hopeful info on the cowhide jackets...i got the uswings distressed leather one, and indeed it is hard to tell it's not goat...but if anyone else knows about the usage of cowhide in ww2 a-2s it would be appreciated, even if i hadn't gotten one, the thread is about the bronco cowhide and i'd love to know if indeed this or any other a-2 was actually made in ww2 in cow

also, just looked at the comparison pix of the original and repro...pretty amazing

It's easy to distinguish between cow and goatskin, as goat has a pebbly finish. The problem is to distinguish horse from cow. This can only be done scientifically, not through a visual comparison. It is a question which has been discussed here before.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
If it's hard to tell between distressed cowhide and goat, then I'd have to wonder if the cow had been embossed with a goat grain- some people do that.
Goat is one hide which is easy to spot- very distinctive grain and texture.

The subject of cow being used in wartime A-2s is a long-argued and unproven one.

BT

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
JC's steerhide...

...is absolutely beautiful gents. I'd be proud to have one of his A2's in steerhide, as it just rocks!! This man is passionate about his flight jackets, and that passion shines through in this work of his. Long overdue John!! thankyou. :eusa_clap

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
moo too

first off, again, amazing pix and work on those recreation jackets...

and thanks for the info on cow vs goat...it sounds as if i will with a wink tell people my distressed cow jacket is horsehide...and let them get out the dna test kits...

and, whilst now i have a uswings cow a-2, maybe someday i'll be worthy of these recreated historical jackets...showing my lack perhaps of knowledge on this subject, are these available on any website, or special order, or just by emailing personally 'john'?

thanks

Feraud

Bartender
johnnyjohnny said:
and thanks for the info on cow vs goat...it sounds as if i will with a wink tell people my distressed cow jacket is horsehide...and let them get out the dna test kits...
haha, that is funny. I do not think most people care if our a2s are cowhide or horse. What catches their eyes are how good we look in 'em. ;)

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
first off, again, amazing pix and work on those recreation jackets...

and, whilst now i have a uswings cow a-2, maybe someday i'll be worthy of these recreated historical jackets...showing my lack perhaps of knowledge on this subject, are these available on any website, or special order, or just by emailing personally 'john'?

thanks

I just got an Aero test jacket for $450 US. A real beauty. John has a few still on the rack if anybody is intersted, usualy half price of a custom job. Just looking to help out on both sides since I could'nt believe that he still had them avalable. Look him up on his website (goodwearleather.com) and drop him a line, you never know what you might find. I am the same size as John so I got lucky, He's a 46 to 48 for anybody interested.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Corrections

John Chapman has since advised me that "Battle Cattle" steerhide is better known as Bonanza Mesa, and is vegetable-tanned, not aniline (coal tar) dyed.

Bonanza Mesa is of Brazilian origin and is most often used in upholstery, where it is valued for its widely variable character.

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
My conclusion: the Bronco binds because the pattern doesn't allow for many men whose backs are a bit broader than their chests, or whose shoulders naturally tilt a bit forward. If you're built like this, the Good Wear Bronco probably won't become your cherished second skin. However, it's an incredible piece of craftsmanship and a beautiful, quality garment. John Chapman really has something going here.

I think you hit the nail on the head in the contract differences, and that it is not a flaw in the manufacturing of the jacket itself. Rather, the jacket has been faithful to the original pattern.

The first original A-2 I purchased was a size 42 Bronco jacket. While I feel that the Bronco is a well made jacket and I prefer the sylistic traits such as the collar and pocket shape better than say an Aero Leather or Poughkeepsie, the Bronco didn't fit me at all.

For reference, I am 5'8" weigh a little over 150 and have a 42" chest. I found the Bronco to be a little long in the back and the sleeves (my short height) and binding in the chest/arm/shoulder area, just as you found.

I have/had a few others including an Aero, a Poughkeepsie Goatskin, a Dubow, and a Roughwear (shell only), but the one that fit me like a glove was the size 42 Cable Raincoat A-2. It's a little shorter in the body and a little bigger in the chest, but still trim through the waist.

Now if John Chapman would make a Cable A-2...

BuzzTheTower

New in Town
Cable Raincoat A-2

Now if John Chapman would make a Cable A-2...

Hello Juanito,

Actually, I do make a Cable A-2. The no-name 27753 was, based on evidence of detail and pattern, identical to earlier Cable contracts. If one looks at the horsehide Cable, contract number 23382, all the details are the same, from the pattern to the epaulet design to the exact typeface used on the label. That pattern is by far the most comfortable I've yet experienced, and others who wear it would agree. And it looks incredibly sharp.

Note that most 27753s have P-214 as the AN stamp. Note the pocket shape, and that almost all have Conmars, which almost all Cables have. They also often have bare metal snaps.

I hope that helps!
John

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
BuzzTheTower said:
Thanks a ton Gents. Yes, I'll get images of a Doniger soon...have to make one and then to the usual photos.

John

John, you are welcome to immediately start work on the Doniger I ordered last Monday. No thanks are needed ... anything to help.

Cordially,
Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot