Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review: Good Wear Bronco A-2, Steerhide

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
With interest growing in John Chapman's Good Wear Leather reproduction A-2s, I thought it was time I gave you my evaluation and photos of Good Wear's steerhide prototype of the Bronco ac29191 contract, which I acquired several weeks ago.

I should stress that I am not experienced with original A-2s, and that John intends his product to be extremely faithful copies of same. So I'll leave the authenticity evaluation to others. I also should note that although this is a very high quality garment, it is a test version. It should probably not be considered representative of a special-order Good Wear jacket in terms of fit, finish, or other such concerns.

click to enlarge these photos

Measurements for tag size 44:
back pit-pit 23 3/4" + front pit-pit 23 5/8" = chest 47 3/8"
shoulder 19"
epaulets 6 3/4"
sleeves 24 5/8" + 2 1/4" cuff = 26 3/4"
back length 23 3/8" + 3 1/4" waistband = 26 5/8"

armhole depth 10 1/4"
sleeve cross section at pit 8 7/8"; at cuff 5"

For reference, I am 5'10 1/2", 185 lb, with a 42" chest, 17" neck and 35" sleeve.

Materials and construction: The "Battle Cattle" steerhide is a tough yet amazingly soft leather with a rich caramel color palette and attractive variation in grain. John has evidently sealed the aniline dye with a non-water-resistant clearcoat that gives a moderate glossy finish. Its faint lacquer-like odor masks any natural leather aroma. This persists even after 3 hot soak, stretch and air dry sessions.

click to enlarge

John's care in workmanship and selection of materials is evident everywhere. Parts fit properly and are sewn firmly in place, but stitching isn't overly precise, which adds a one-off character. The all-cotton khaki thread is extremely strong, showing no signs of loosening or snapping despite repeated stress put on the armholes and side seams while soaking and stretching the leather. (I might add that the Battle Cattle is very resistant to stretching.)

The cotton lining again shows meticulous care. Light in weight, it is high-quality, finely-woven goods with wonderful body and a feel very like spun silk. It's nicely absorbent and quick-drying. The wool knit is slightly two-toned, with red-brown and dark brown tones in the yarn. It has a low gloss and a springy, resilient feel and isn't too warm or confining.
1163809186_898aa05faf.jpg

1162956843_74181e4663.jpg

Wearability and fit: The Bronco fit is handsome, appears period correct, and is comfortable except for one difficulty. However, that one is critical. The jacket binds the upper arms and armpits tightly when they are lifted forward or upward. Many activities call for this: operating a vehicle, carrying large objects, or merely standing with arms folded. In my Bronco, doing any of these is uncomfortable.

877062091_8a08df7263.jpg
877062043_e82045021b.jpg

877061731_e6030cecc0.jpg
877061709_c4afde1bea.jpg

1162960137_673e05f0fc.jpg

The sleeves are cut narrowly, even for my light upper body musculature. There is slack in the back panel only when my arms are at my sides. When the arms come forward, the back pulls taut and creases, the sleeves bind against the biceps, the cuffs tug up the wrists, and the extra material at the front armholes bunches up, further binding the arms. The shoulders and epaulets also lift and bunch. 3 attempts to hot-soak and stretch the jacket have changed it only very little.

I suspect part of the problem is that the Bronco's front and back armhole curves overlap exactly when it's laid flat. I compared it with 2 well-fitting A-2s I own, a Willis & Geiger horsehide in size 42, and an Aero "11018-P" Indian goatskin in size 44. (Neither is an exact contract copy, but both offer a fairly faithful period fit, except for the wide shoulders on the Aero.) On the Willis 42, the back curves are about 1" wide of the front curves on each side. On the Aero 44, the back curves are about 3/4" wide of the fronts. This seems to give enough slack for the arms to move forward. Neither jacket binds or restricts anywhere.

My conclusion: the Bronco binds because the pattern doesn't allow for many men whose backs are a bit broader than their chests, or whose shoulders naturally tilt a bit forward. If you're built like this, the Good Wear Bronco probably won't become your cherished second skin. However, it's an incredible piece of craftsmanship and a beautiful, quality garment. John Chapman really has something going here.

Mike K.

One Too Many
C'mon Fletch...smile like you enjoy your new jacket!:)

Looks like a real beauty of a jacket. The grain variation is really close to an old A-2 that I purchased back in the 80s. I look forward to seeing how John's jackets wear over time.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the review Fletch.

Reviews of jackets are great :eusa_clap (albeit, subjective) and I for one appreciate the time and effort that members like Fletch here, put into the write up and the photos (which just make it for me Fletch - cheers!:eusa_clap ).

Re: an A-1 jacket by JC. Somehow, I think this will be in the pipeline later down the road.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Dunno...the cats at VLJ Forum seem pretty happy with their goatskin Broncs, including fit. I've seen some comments about tight arms, but I can't find them now.

I wrote John about possible mods. He PM'd back but deleted it before I could read it. :eusa_doh: (I hope I didn't p!$$ him off!)

He's busier than a one-armed paperhanger with hives lately, tho, so I'll cut him some slack. Hope he can (literally) cut me some later on.

This is a beautiful enough piece that a well done "field modification" would only add to its character. Besides, in the real war, you got the jacket you got, and made it work.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Might be.

A couple of the VLJ crowd are chiming in that this is the way a Bronco's supposed to fit. One of 'em went so far as to add (paraphrased), "this IS a WW2 spec, not one of your generic mallrat jackets, you noob." Well excuuuse me if I didn't know wartime A-2s were meant to be some kind of impromptu high-altitude compression suit...:whistling

cheaterome

One of the Regulars
Wow that was quite a stretch in the paraphrasing department.

That is how Broncos fit though.
It will be comfortable or even a little true to size in the front and around the jacket but the jacket traditionally is somewhat smaller in the arms and shoulders from ticketed size.
Of the two I have owned and the at least dozen or so original Broncos that I have seen in person and tried on.

Jerome

greyhound68

A-List Customer
You know what is interesting that my Doniger has a smaller shoulder span (but lower arm holes) and a wider body than my Bronco. The Doniger is by far the better fit and both are 44s go figure. Each contract has its own quirks. My 44 RW fits different than the Doniger and the Bronco. The Monarch which is a size 46 fits just like a 44. It can give one a headache. I still think the United or Doniger would be better fit for you.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
A period fit is kind of moot because you do not have the physique of a 22 year old WWII airman. The jacket is at least a size too small, perhaps two.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Well...it's really just the sleeves that are a size too small. But seeing as tight sleeves/capacious body seem to define a faithful Bronco, yeah, I'd ideally want a bigger Bronco...if a Bronco is ultimately what I want.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

Cost is $780 for the cattle. Add $100 for horse or goat. You ain't looking at a cheap coat, friends -- but again, what I see does not look like a bargain-basement A-2.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Update

After the third soak 'n stretch treatment about a month ago - involving bath mats rolled up and forced inside the sleeves - I went away on vacation and let the Bronco sit (minus the mats). When I returned 2 weeks later I noticed that the shoulder and upper arm fit had eased noticeably! :eusa_clap

John Chapman recommends against any such major modification as underarm gussets, saying he's never seen such a thing in all his wide experience of wartime A-2s. So for this reason, as well as the increased stretch, I'll be keeping the Bronc "original."

I should add that I have gone stone crazy over the feel, tan and grain of this particular leather. It's like nothing I've seen elsewhere. It's certainly not the typical chrome-tanned even-shaded wartime stuff, but it's practically got a life of its own...

Estevan

One of the Regulars
A couple of the VLJ crowd are chiming in that this is the way a Bronco's supposed to fit.

I own three. Two are originals and one is an Aero repro. I wear a 38, but a 40 in a Bronco. The Bronco is supposed to fit a tad longer in the torso and a bit narrower throughout the body. It is not supposed to fit like yours in the photo. I'm not sure if you bought the correct size or this just happens to have been an oversight on the pre-production model.

BuzzTheTower

New in Town
Hello Everyone.

John Chapman here. Thanks for all the comments about the Bronco. It's one of my favorite originals, and the original I once had in size 46 was so fun to wear...the goatskin was extremely thick, too. This Good Wear copy is definitely an accurate pattern from a size 44 original Bronco...pretty much no differences in any dimension, but it is a test jacket rather than a production model.

So, there were some questions about the fit of a Bronco. When a Bronco fits well, it'll be just a bit snug in the shoulders, and just a bit large around the waist area. There are some differences from one original to another, but this seems to be consistent. Other A-2 makers can have wildly different fits from their own patterns, so I only speak of Broncos in this case. I've tried on two original size 44s, and both looked great, but felt binding in several areas, most notably the front of the shoulders and arm tops. This size 44 that Fletch has shown was a bit tight on me in the same way. I prefer a size 46, which seems to fit perfectly in all areas, with no binding of any kind. Of course the jackets, just like a pair of leather shoes, will open and mold to the wearer's shape with time.

Here's a set of photos of the Good Wear Bronco size that I prefer, and this is how I like it to fit. The mannequin has a 40" chest, for reference:

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_bronco.html

And here are more repro jackets with what I consider a good fit in relation to the wearer...

Good Wear Dubow pattern...
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_dubow1.html

Good Wear United Sheeplined pattern...
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_united1.html

Good Wear United Sheeplined pattern...
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_united2.html

Good Wear Rough Wear pattern...
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_rw2.html

Good Wear Aero pattern...
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_aero2.html

These are all test jackets I've made and still have. As an example of an extremely tight jacket, here's a no-name 27753 original that's about a size 38-40, and you can really see how tight this fits on a 40" chest...

http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/test_noname1.html

Hope that helps,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR