Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of Simmons Bilt leather jacket

Hasslein

New in Town
Fit looks good. Looks too short in the photos, but my guess is that it isn't and that it would look better if you tucked your shirt in.

I agree that the untucked t-shirt looks a bit sloppy in the pictures and it isn't how I would normally wear it, it was just what I already had on when trying out the jacket. The jacket length is more like that of vintage jackets, I find. This length is perfect in my opinion, my natural waist is right between the back belt and the hem, so it follows the natural lines of my body.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I agree that the untucked t-shirt looks a bit sloppy in the pictures and it isn't how I would normally wear it, it was just what I already had on when trying out the jacket. The jacket length is more like that of vintage jackets, I find. This length is perfect in my opinion, my natural waist is right between the back belt and the hem, so it follows the natural lines of my body.

Oh yeah, I assume that the length actually looks great. I like shorter jackets so I'd love to see more shots of this with a shirt tucked in.

Drdan

Familiar Face
Hello Hasslein, welcome to the FL, and thanks for the review! Your jacket came out very well indeed, and the color is exceptional. Am I right to assume that the color is Havana brown?

I'm personally waiting for Deborah to answer my Email, and then I'll be placing my order. I'm purchasing a size 42 Vintage Half Belt in CXL Havana brown, and I'll be making a few modifications such as opting for different style chest pockets (I'd like two), and a couple of measurement adjustments. I also sourced some bright red 100% cupro Bemberg lining, and super strong brown Sevylt pocketing material, and I'm hoping that SB will use it instead of their usual offerings.

How's the jacket breaking in period going for you? I've read that it takes a while, but is not as bad as CXL horsehide. I don't intend to assist mine in any way, although I would be tempted to go outside with it on when it's raining.

Congratulations on a great jacket choice... As far as your English is concerned, I don't think that anyone on the forum will have difficulty ready your post, as it's excellent!

Best wishes! :)

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Hasslein asked for pictures , albeit a wee while back so here you go. Now these have been posted before now, no whining !
Simmons Bilt J100 in black goat . 2 photos

Simmons Bilt J100 June 1.jpg

Simmons Bilt J100 2.jpg

Simmons Bilt Nebraska X 2

Simmons Bilt Nebraska Trigg July.jpg

Simmons Bilt Nebraska Mullaloo.jpg

Drdan

Familiar Face
You've got the measurements down pat Downunder G Man, and the goatskin drapes nicely. Being in Perth, goatskin is a nice choice. I'd bet you have a nice kangaroo jacket also, which would also be ideal for the climate there. If SB offered kangaroo, I'd surely order another jacket from them.

I have a lightweight goatskin jacket half belt, and I'm actually wearing it today here in Germany.

Hasslein

New in Town
Hello Hasslein, welcome to the FL, and thanks for the review! Your jacket came out very well indeed, and the color is exceptional. Am I right to assume that the color is Havana brown?

I'm personally waiting for Deborah to answer my Email, and then I'll be placing my order. I'm purchasing a size 42 Vintage Half Belt in CXL Havana brown, and I'll be making a few modifications such as opting for different style chest pockets (I'd like two), and a couple of measurement adjustments. I also sourced some bright red 100% cupro Bemberg lining, and super strong brown Sevylt pocketing material, and I'm hoping that SB will use it instead of their usual offerings.

How's the jacket breaking in period going for you? I've read that it takes a while, but is not as bad as CXL horsehide. I don't intend to assist mine in any way, although I would be tempted to go outside with it on when it's raining.

Congratulations on a great jacket choice... As far as your English is concerned, I don't think that anyone on the forum will have difficulty ready your post, as it's excellent!

Best wishes! :)

Thank you very much! This is indeed the Havana Brown. It is a very rich colour with a lot of depth to it. Pictures can't really do it justice. I can highly recommend it. The jacket is heavy and very sturdy but also surprisingly soft and easy to wear. While I have worn the jacket some since I got it, the warm weather means that I'm not getting as much use out of it as I would like. It does seem to be breaking in though, especially in the arms and shoulders, though it still looks much like it did when I got it. I will be able to wear the jacket way more once the season changes. I have no experience wearing the CXL Horsehide so I couldn't say how they compare.

I think the jacket you will have made will look spectacular. There is something about those styles of jackets made of this particular leather. Like the thickness of the collar for example, that is just amazing. The bright red lining sounds nice and it makes me think of classic A-2 jackets. Be sure to post pictures once you get it, I'd like to see how it turns out!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How was the sizing on your J100? What is your chest size and how does it fit?
Cheers!

You've been here for long enough that I assume this was an accidental necropost, haha.

In any case, for well-known reasons, the sizing would be identical to the Aero Board Racer/J-100, so a very snug racing shirt fit. However in some cases SB has been relabeling sizes as much bigger (earlier on) or much smaller (more recently), so you'd have to double check. (Their current cross-zips have a 44" hem on a size 38, for instance.)

Aero is probably a safer bet for that reason, though given the extremely trim fit of the pattern you might find yourself needing to go up a size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ