Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reviews of RAF and WAAF Repro Uniforms?

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
A recent purchase has me considering putting together a WWII RAF uniform, and my wife likes the idea of a companion WAAF uniform.

Where are the best places to buy repro gear? How is WPG's battledress/peaked cap set?

Also, are there good web resources with pictures, maybe even color illustrations?

All thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Trog

KilroyCD

One Too Many
What Price Glory is one place to look

I haven't found many sources for replica RAF uniforms.
I have some Khaki Drill that I bought through What Price Glory ( www.whatpriceglory.com ), that I'm reasonably happy with. The tunic, which is the "Belted Bush Jacket" is cut a bit odd. It's as though they didn't adjust the cuff measurements or upper pocket placement when they scaled the jacket up for larger sizes. The top pockets appear to ride almost an inch too high, and the cuffs are too small. I cannot button them. This isn't much of an issue, as this jacket is meant to be worn (most of the time) with the sleeves rolled up. If you don't wear a jacket larger than size 42, these problems should not be an issue. The KD trousers on the other hand, are quite nice! I'm very pleased with those. They recently introduced a KD dress tunic that I'll be looking into soon.
WPG also have the RAF Service Dress and Battle Dress uniforms, but they don't seem to have a full range of sizes anymore. They also make a nice Irvin flight jacket that is a good value. I have one, and aside from an early and easily resolved zipper issue I'm quite pleased with it.

I've heard mixed reviews about Replicaters' (sic) products. I don't have any of their products, but I have heard that some of their products are spot-on, while others have been far less so. Here's that link: http://www.replicaters.com/ww2rafuniforms.html

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
WPG

Kilroy,

Thanks. I've ordered a set of the battledress, at $150, it strikes me as a low-risk venture!

Much less luck finding female WAAF uniforms.

Where did you get your hat? It looks perfect!

Trog

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Very few decent repros of WAAF kit around, avoid Warhorse. A good tailor here drafting from originals, not cheap but right.
Why not go for the stewards uniform? Much easier and rarely done.
Kate

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Steward's Uniform?

I am not familiar with the steward's uniform. What is it, and who wore it? OK, stewards obviously, but I'm not familiar with either the function of how it looks.

I'm intrigued!

Thanks,
Trog

Troglodyte

Familiar Face
Scarce Stuff!

Lots of warnings, and only a few good sites to buy from! And WPG is out of hats and 44R battledress tunics. Clearly, a rare "niche" area for reenactments.

So now I'm more interested than ever! Will keep an eye out for sources, definitely interested in your tailors and "castoff" RAF, WAAF, and steward gear! Patterns welcome too, since that seems to be the way to go these days.

Thanks,
Trog

KilroyCD

One Too Many
It's here already!

I anxiously unpacked the new tunic, hoping for the best. I gave it a long, critical look. I looked at the quality of the constuction and was quite pleased. But when the moment of truth arrived and it was time to try it on, one quote came to mind...

..."We are not amused."

It seems as though WPG's manufacturers in Pakistan must use a smaller garment as a pattern, and when they scale it up to make larger sizes they fail to scale up some critical things, such as arm holes, cuffs, even the collar!
This tunic has such a small collar/lapel that it seems as though it belongs on a size 36R, not a 52L. The unfinished cuffs are so small it is a struggle to get my hands through, plus the sleeves are too snug through the entire length. This tunic also fits like a 48L, it is not sized like WPG's Belted Bush Jacket (52L) or their Irvin (also size 52) which do fit me well.
This would be a good tunic in smaller sizes, but bigger guys should stay away. :(

EDIT: I did some measuring, and I found that the yoke/shoulders only measured 18 1/2", when according to their size chart, it should be 21 1/2". The 18 1/2" yoke measurement is given on their size chart for the 38R tunic. No wonder it doesn't fit correctly! When I buttoned it, the top button was near the top of my collar bone. I've e-mailed WPG to see what options I have regarding getting one that fits.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Kilroy,

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your officer's tunic. I have a couple of originals and they are a very smart and well-tailored item. The photograph you link on WPG's website looks nothing like an original to me - it seems at even a cursory inspection to have the sort of tailoring faults you mention.

Caveat emptor!

KilroyCD

One Too Many
It has been two weeks since I contacted WPG about this ill-fitting tunic that doesn't match their size specs for the yoke, and I have yet to hear anything back from them. I consider this very bad form, and they are unlikely to get any further business from me unless they respond soon. :(

Whithead

Familiar Face
RAF Service Dress

Kilroy-

How did the endeavor with WPG turn out? I am looking for a set of RAF Service Dress to go with the Sindlinger Hurricane I am rebuilding. Looking to paint the plane to represent John Haviland of 151 Squadron in SEP 1940...I thought it might be fun to be able to fly in and pop out of the cockpit in the correct uniform. ;)

I am a 48L or 50R and have not found a supplier yet of that size that returns my inquiries. Jacket is my concern as I take a 38 waist pants...

Has anyone else had any luck?

doctor dan

New in Town
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I have purchased quite a few things from WPG and have been for the most part very satisfied. But, I always order clothing items a minimum of one to two sizes up. Anything from Pakistan will be at least be one to two sizes smaller than what is stated. A good idea is to check out the reveiws of the items. They will usualy steer you right, or just call or e-mail and ask.

RayR

One of the Regulars
Kilroy,

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your officer's tunic. I have a couple of originals and they are a very smart and well-tailored item. The photograph you link on WPG's website looks nothing like an original to me - it seems at even a cursory inspection to have the sort of tailoring faults you mention.

Caveat emptor!

You seem to have a much more experienced eye than I. Will you please direct me to who you believe is making the most accurate copy for an average size man (41" chest, 5' 8"). I would like an "Officers" cut, if there is a difference. I'm guessing the material was probably better than an Airmans, if nothing else.

Thanks