Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reviving a suit - is it worth it

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
Hi,

I recently bought a Thresher and Glenny fully bespoke 3 piece morning suit made in 1973. It has been well used although I don't mind that, it is part of the history of the suit, most of the damage is on the inside. I'm wondering how far to go in trying to restore it. I but for to wear myself generally not to resell. The trousers ar black and grey striped and the jacket SB black so could be worn separately.

I've restitched the lining and replaced trouser buttons however the arm linings of the jacket lining of the vest are badly stained, can this be cleaned in any way. Pocket linings could also do with a clean.

I'm reluctant to have it dry cleaned and previous experience has shown that they rarely get linings clean, though to be fair I do not have a specailist dry cleaners anywhere near me so have to use town centre bulk cleaners.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
As long as they're not coming undone they're still doing their job. I've got a vintage suit with a waistcoat lining that's pretty well shot, I'll wear it through the season but then I'm just going to have to replace it. Of course, that's the beauty of linings, they can usually be repaired and replaced much easier than the outer fabric. You can try spot cleaning, but I wouldn't be too worried. Are there odours coming from the lining? There are a couple threads somewhere around here about removing odours.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
There are two things to consider: 1) whatever you spend on replacing lining is going to be far les than the cost having another bespoke morning suit; 2) do you feel you'll get enough wear out of a morning suit to justify the expense?

A few years ago I spent a bundle having a very cool early 30s bespoke three-piece tuxedo re-tailored to fit me. And while it fits wonderfully now, and if I had it to do over, I probably still have the tailoring work done, because it's a tuxedo I only have about one or two occasions per year to wear it.

yorkshirechap

Familiar Face
Thanks both, I think a new lining is a great idea and luckily there are no odours in the suit. I'll have a go at spot cleaning and see if that works first.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with what Nick and Guttersnipe.

If you can afford it, and justify the expense, I'd find a tailor who could reline the jacket and waistcoat. If not, I think I'd send it to a quality dry-cleaner and see what he can do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy