Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RFID Technology

skwerl-hat

One of the Regulars
its so interesting the dmv already puts these chips in drivers licenses unbeknowest to me mine has had this technology in it since 2001 :O
as for under the skin
no way jose!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
As noted in the article and earlier in this thread, they have been around for a while. Vets have used them with subcutaneous injection to make pets identifiable for some years.

Like many new technologies, they have potential both for benefit (find inventory quickly, get your lost dog back) and mis-use. It's also an area in which technology is way, way out in front of the legal system - I'd bet there are no laws governing or restricting their use.

Let's hope that Homeland Security doesn't get any bright ideas involving them as a requirement for air flight.

Haversack

One Too Many
People are already designing and making metal-mesh, faraday cage envelopes in which to carry their passports and other RFID "enhanced" documents. No sense in broadcasting your particulars to all and sundry.

Haversack.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
These things are starting to be used in hospitals. You have one injected into you, and the computer brings up your medical files when the doctor scans your arm.

The manufacture has also suggested using them for the proposed “guest worker program”. Their idea is that anyone who enters the country under this program gets a chip implanted in them so that they can be tracked.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I got a bad feeling about this,....

movie.jpg

I'll bet it's already being misused. :mad:

Juniper

New in Town
There was an article about this in one of my mom's magazines a few years ago. The author's husband did not want anything to do with it, but the author was adamant that as soon as it was legal she would have it injected into her daughter. The author had been abducted and raped as a child, and held safety to be more important for children than freedom.

S

Samsa

I spent the better part of the summer working at a local library that used these. There was an RFID tag in each item, and we used a reader to check out materials (which is much more time efficient than scanning a barcode). It also enabled patrons to use self-check machines, so that they did not have to interact directly with circulation staff.

It has its uses, but I get very nervous about the idea of impanting them in children and the like. The bit about hospitals also made me nervous - simply because, in my experiences with the tags we used at the library, they did not have a high enough success rate that I would be comfortable knowing my doctor was using one to keep track of my blood type!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"They" already know or can find out anything "they" want to about you or almost anyone. On more than one occassion I have had a person's name and city of residence only and easily obtained their addresses and phone #s online or with just a phone # found their addresses. Just about anyone can querry about your credit history. The OnStar or GPS feature in the car or on your cell phone can be reversed to locate you right now.

Frankly I don't even care if my next 3-pack of Target briefs have tracking bugs. I'm right here 99% of the time within easy reach of my .45. Come get me! :D Who said I was paranoid.:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters