Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ricks white tux by MK

android

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
and a nice pair of shoes---black wingtip or toe cap. ;)

Regards to all,

J

I can see a well shined cap toe, but I don't think you would ever wear wingtips with formal wear, right?

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm not a fan of silk / satin lapels...looks cheap, in my opinion. Grosgrain is nice, which I have on my black double-breasted '30s tux, but I don't think grosgain works in white, if it exists at all.

For the record, my white dinner jacket doesn't have satin lapels, but I was taking what I could get and later realized that silk lapels were a possibility on these jackets.

I'll be dressed in my white jacket ensemble in public for the first time this weekend. I'll try to get some photos.

android

One of the Regulars
Nice satin lapels look good. Go look at tuxedos at Nordtrom's or Macy's.
The satin they use on rentals is polyester or something and looks like hell.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Satin is good on tux coats, cutaways, and the like! But, as for a dinner jacket…. NO WAY!!! Has to be plane for me and the lapels need to be wide and not those skimpy wimpy Rat-Pack ones ether! The best dinner jacket I would say for you guys to look for would be a 1930’s or 40’s “Palm Beach� double breasted dinner jacket! Those are the ones you see in the movies that most Big Band leaders wore and the like. A true dinner jacket would have shawl styled lapels as well.

I’m looking for one and I find them, but need to find one in my size. 44L

I do love the grosgrain lapels on some of the 30’s and 40’s tuxes I see. Very classy with the same grosgrain stripe down the pants! But, as far as Satin or silk is concerned, it’s got to be the old stuff! It doesn’t look cheap or crappy.

Root.

06.jpg
12.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
If any of you are still looking for 'Bogie' white jackets, contact my friend Roberto.

cityvintage@hotmail.com

I think he still had a few in a range of sizes last we talked.

The man is insane. You won't get a screaming deal price-wise but it'll be well worth it, and you certainly won't feel ripped off. He's got just about anything you could possibly want.

Tell him A.J. sent you.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Yeah, I noticed that after the fact...a plain spread-point collared shirt would have been just fine. I think the pleated wing-collar with studs looks pretty classy, however...I also had a white pique vest on underneath, which looked good when I had it unbuttoned and was sitting down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points