Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rings

Edward

Bartender
You didn't by any chance pick up that engagement ring in Wylde Celts, Camden? I used to have a ring very much like it. :)

Edward

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
I think we did get them there, yes (both very poor at the time). Unfortunately the baroness has a weird effect on silver - turns it black - so she can't wear hers any more.

bk

They do great stuff in there - I gather a lot of folks use their rings as wedding rings. That's unfortunate re her effect on silver.... having it lacquered might help with that?

Elaina

One Too Many
My first husband bought me a matching set, and the engagment ring and band were worn together on the left hand, same way everyone else's was worn, but was meant to as the set was an S shape with prongs to hold the band andengagement ring together.

My last husband and I didn't get rings. I wanted one, he wanted a way to control me ("We'll look into rings if you.."). Eventually it became unimportant to me, and now going through a divorce, I'm glad because I don't have that blinding white strip on my finger (and it took me a good while of tanning my hands the first time to get it gone.) Since I will likely not remarry, rings are not important to me anymore.

Funny thing is, I wanted a plain wide gold band. The ring I did get was thin, white gold and with a funky diamond that caught on everything.

The women in my family have had everything from ruby engagement rings, huge diamond sets, no rings, plain ones...and everything else you can think of, so I don't consider anything really vintage appropriate.

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Claddagh

I wear mine on the right hand with the pointy end out. This means "he's available, ladies" even though it was my last wedding ring...

...and I do mean last.

SJR067G.jpg

They come in many styles, mine looks exacly like this one. I was partial to the "solid" look.

Edward

Bartender
Good looking ring, Bob. I have a soft spot for Claddagh designs (I can hear the ancestral voices calling, lol ).... i like that one better, actually, the the more regular style. It's all academic for me now, though - I'm sworn off relationships for good, I think. lol

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
The last one is nice. I've never worn any ring apart from, before I was married , I had a silver ring with a seal made out of Onyx and the gold band now that I am married.

A mixture of aesthetic taste and practicality of having free hands.

Edward

Bartender
Buckle Rings

Recently, I have taken a renewed interest in this style of gentleman's ring. The Buckle Ring is, essentially, a ring designed to look like a little belt fastened round the finger, thus:

!BN)ZH7gB2k~$(KGrHgoOKioEjlLmfBoYBJrWVSJ(Gg~~_1.JPG

I have discovered, rather to my surprise (I had assumed it to be a post 1960 thing), that this style goes back to the Victorian era. I cannot, however, find any sort of information anywhere as to the purpose of these rings. Were they originally wedding rings (somewhat akin to the Claddagh's origin), or simply jewellery? I have the notion one would make rather a nice pinky ring.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Here is the one that I have worn since the evening I was raised. It belonged to my maternal grandfather who got it in the mid-thirties. I seldom remove it from my finger, but I just did so to snap these shots.

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

AF

Masonic Ring

Very nice Atticus,old stlye... If I could figure out how to use the digital camera to download pic`s,I will ask my daughter to snap some shots of 1 of my older family rings.Bro Brian B.

Highlander

A-List Customer
My Templar/Blue Lodge Ring that i have worn for 20 years. I bought it used from a friend, and keep thinking I'll find a new Cross/Crown with the enamel in good shape to replace the one that had several years of wear, but then I think it's worn for a reason. :)
MasonicRing3-vi.jpg

I noticed that I should have cleaned it after I took the photos, some mud in the creavaces from planting trees today.

MasonicRing2-vi.jpg

RetroPat

Familiar Face
Cool rings. My dad has his father's mason ring. Sadly, my grandfather passed away when my dad was six, and my grandmother had to hock the diamond that was in a the middle of the ring. My mom and I are trying to get the diamond replaced as a Father's Day gift to my dad this year.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Atticus Finch said:
Here is the one that I have worn since the evening I was raised. It belonged to my maternal grandfather who got it in the mid-thirties. I seldom remove it from my finger, but I just did so to snap these shots.

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

AF

I can't help but see "F A M" on your ring. Cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn