Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rioting Across America - The Great Depression (video)

Story

I'll Lock Up

XZlOS.gif

YETI

A-List Customer
Poltics Banned?

Perhaps this is a socioeconomic thread. Anyway, I do see some parallels with what occurred during the Great Depression and OWS. People are "mad as hell". I live 30 miles from Oakland and what started out peaceful at the Port of Oakland got pretty ugly later last night. The cops used teargas again because of rioting and destruction of property in downtown. These are the fringe elements of course. The majority of the demonstrators tried to stop them and even cleaned up some of the graffiti and mess afterwards.

Not to make light of the topic but do you think 70 - 80 years from now there will be a "Recession" inspired fashion for hipsters? I had to ask since this is the Fedora Lounge.

YETI

A-List Customer
^^ You are correct sir. I recall, about 10-12 yrs. ago(better economy) while selling some of my snappy vintage finds on Haight Street, chatting with a young female employee and she mentioned the term "hipster". I was ignorant to the whole scene while she tried explaining it to me. She was from Oregon and said hipsters experienced some persecution at the local bars and clubs for whatever reason. I still had no clue as hipsterdom hadn't made it's way to San Francisco at the time. Come to SF now and that's all you see.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I'm hoping for a swing/rockabilly resurgence. It will be good for my economy.

Well, every year for a while, we've been told by GQ and Esquire that "the double-breasted suit is back!" Um, no. Your average brick-and-mortar department store isn't carrying them. The Internet is, but most men don't buy suits online.

(For you and me, the double-breasted suit never went away in the first place ... but that's another story.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic