Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rioting Across America - The Great Depression (video)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
THere's quite a few different incidents depicted there, spread over a period of years. Many riots, especially in rural areas, were farmers fighting back against banks out to foreclose them -- in one such case, near Sioux City, Iowa in 1933, a judge seeking to enforce eviction orders was dragged from his courtroom by a mob of farmers, beaten, and escaped being lynched only when the rope broke. Others were protests against collapsed commodity prices -- many farmers would waylay milk trucks and pour the milk into the gutter rather than allow it to be sold at prices less than the cost of production.

The Michigan riots resulted when automakers, specifically GM and Ford, did everything they could to keep auto workers from unionizing in 1936-37. Ford, especially, had his own private goon army, made up of strong-arm thugs and ex-convicts, to keep the rabble in line. But all these efforts failed -- and by 1940, all of the automakers had signed contracts with the UAW.

The Washington DC riots were the Bonus Army of 1932 -- when the Hoover Administration sent General MacArthur at the head of a detachment of mounted cavalry and tank troops to disperse unemployed World War veterans demanding payment of a promised bonus. The vets were gassed out of their camps, which were then set ablaze by MacArthur's troops.

When the vets returned in 1933, the new Administration sent the First Lady to meet them instead of the Army. The bonus was finally paid in 1935.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to wonder, with the current ongoing events now, in the USA, this "Occupy Wallstreet" movement, if it may well mimic eventually what took place during the depression?

rue

Thank you for the explanations Lizzie! It looked like it was over a period of many years (the different models of cars gave it away) and I wasn't really sure what each riot was about.

I think what amazed me the most was how violent it was. The average person, not involved in the riots, must have been scared to death to go out into the streets.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the thing was, people then were willing to put their blood on the line for what they were fighting for. They wouldn't have been satisfied to post comments on blogs or dress up in silly costumes holding up signs. They knew what they were fighting for -- and what they had to do to accomplish it.

The labor riots were especially rough -- both sides played for keeps, and people died in the process. It's an unjustly forgotten chapter in our history -- every time you enjoy an eight hour day or a forty hour week, you should think about what had to be done to achieve it.

370527.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think what is also forgotten is the scale of these things and how local they were. Near where my mother grew up- a little town of under 100 people (even less now)- there was a riot where the farmers dumped their milk at the local milk and cream company. Some of my mother's family participated. The NY state troopers were called in and ordered the men to stop, but they refused. The officers opened fire into the crowd.

I believe 5 or 6 farmers were killed, over 2 dozen seriously wounded. Basically everybody in that county had a family member die or wounded at what is known locally there as the "massacre."

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, they won't even take a rubber bullet or a taser. Wimps!

Tasers, I don't know - fortunately never been on the receiving end of one of those. Fortunately never been near a rubber bullet either: those certainly aren't the soft option some think. They can kill - one poor bugger in Ireland was even emasculated by one.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fortunately never been near a rubber bullet either: those certainly aren't the soft option some think. They can kill - one poor bugger in Ireland was even emasculated by one.
He probably wasn't wearing a cup. Back in the day everyone knew that you don't go to a riot without your cup.:eusa_doh:

Good solid head wear was a smart idea as well.....

WEATHERUNDERGROUND3.jpg

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
I apologise if my comment was taken as being a little provocative. I sympathise with the plight of many hard up Americans during that period. But many cops were just doing their jobs. Just sayin'.[huh]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy