Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP: GERALD FORD

Hondo

One Too Many
Chevy Chase doesn't have a role model now ;)
Got to agree, if not for the Nixon pardon he might have stood out more (guts) in history, a right and a wrong here but in good old boys school, you got to think of the nation best interests, over all, and move on. Its probably a reason voters didn't give him full term (vote in office) Still he was a good man, R.I.P. Mr. Ford :(

panamag8or

Practically Family
Feraud said:
He was not the bumbling, stumbling idiot Chevy Chase portrayed him as on SNL either. ;)
Oops, did I just date myself with that comment?

President Ford is still the only sitting President to utter the "Live from New York!" line to open SNL. (4/17/76)

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
May he golf with Bob Hope in paradise. :)

Only mean thing Ford ever did was to rip Ron Reagan about his age at the '76 Repub. Convention. :eek: He had to pardon ol' Tricky Dick to let the nation heal. Speaking of Ford Pardons, Didn't he also pardon, "Toyko Rose?"

It was this time of year, between Christmas and New Year's back in '76 while he was skiing, a reporter asked him why he was still pushing his agenda for Puerto Rico to become a state since he was a lame duck. He replied, "Because I am still President."

He never knew his real dad, he played on 2 championship football teams with the U. Mich. Wolverines, was our only unelected president and even appeared on SNL himself with Henry Kissenger. Turned down pro football offers to go to law school. Quite a diverse resume indeed.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Jerry Ford wasn't the only President to serve in the Navy, of course, but he was definitely the only one to have sat in uniform for a commercial illustrator (he was, briefly, what was then called a "male model" :eek: !!)

cosmocover2.jpg

The real Lieut. Ford in 1944, as assistant navigator on the carrier USS Monterey.
gerald-ford-navy-1944.gif

Hondo

One Too Many
Jerry Ford wasn't the only President to serve in the Navy, of course, but he was definitely the only one to have sat in uniform for a commercial illustrator (he was, briefly, what was then called a "male model" !!)

Fletch: Thank You, I didn't know that, definitely cool as like when Ford met George Harrison (SNL?) I change my comment about him a bit, not a good man but a Great man indeed :eusa_clap

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Gerald Ford...

Was indeed a class act. He served in the House when civility was more prevalant and compromise something other than a four-letter word. A short, but important presidency. He was, to repeat myself, a class act.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
I agree with OSF, the pardon of Nixon was necessary, and therefore the right thing to do. It avoided deepening the wounds opened by Watergate by taking a trial and imprisonment out of the picture. Nixon may have avoided justice, but I think it was the lesser of two evils. With Ford, as with many men, history is and will be kinder to him than his contemporaries were.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Let's Honor the Man

When a man is called from out of obscurity to serve his nation through a time of need and does so with distinction; when a man has the courage to make tough choices and to see them through along with their consequences, when a man reaches this stage after a long, interesting, and fruitful life; and when that man then goes on to serve as a dignified elder statesman, once he passes, you feel a certain awe tinged with sadness. Even as you grieve, you want to applaud for a life well-lived.

Let's all keep the focus on honoring the man and away from the political.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

God Bless him. A fine man.

Dashing too - look at those great pictures. He must be among the longest-lived ex-presidents. I'll have to look it up.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And there die the secrets of Jack Ruby!

Gerald Ford and Earl Warren (d. 1974) talked to Oswald assassin Jack Ruby in his Texas jail cell during the Warren Commission investigation. Jack Ruby told them he could tell them everything - but not while in Dallas Police custody. Ruby begged them to take him to Washington D.C. and interrigate him there; he would tell them the truth of the Kennedy assassination and his involvement. Ford and Warren refused his request.

Ruby died in 1967 never revealing his motives beyond sparing Mrs. Kennedy the rigors of a public Oswald trial.

R.I.P. Gerald R. Ford

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hondo said:
Fletch: Thank You, I didn't know that, definitely cool as like when Ford met George Harrison (SNL?) I change my comment about him a bit, not a good man but a Great man indeed :eusa_clap

Yes! There are some great pix of Ford and his son Jack, who arranged the meeting, yucking it up with George Harrison and Ravi Shankar in the Oval Office. If memory serves me, a afro-d Billy Preston was there too!

-dixon cannon

warbird

One Too Many
He was the longest lived president, passed Reagan a few months ago.

Ford
Reagan
Adams, who lived to 90, which in the late 18th and early 19th century was an amazing thing in and of itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran