Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RIP Mothers Cookies: 1914-2008

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
This news is as old as October but I just met a man who shared the story that 6-weeks ago he came back from vacation and had no job because 'Mothers Cookies' shut down.

Yes, that's right that means No More 'Circus Animals' this made me sad. I can't think of the last time I had the little pink and white animals with the sprinkles but I know I loved them. I feel a little part of my childhood has been taken away. Lets hope someone recognizes the value of the brand and give it a new life. I am planning to poke around some stores to see if there are any on the shelf to put away in my time capsule.

2231819752_0395a7e0d5.jpg

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD CIRCUS ANIMALS?

"According to industry lore, the company was founded in 1914 by a newspaper vendor, N.M. Wheatley, as a one-person shop. It expanded and moved to the 81st Avenue location in 1949.

Mother's later had a series of corporate owners: a Belgian company, Artal B.V., bought it in 1991; it was owned by Specialty Foods Corp. of Illinois in the late 1990s; in 2000, Specialty sold Mother's and Archway Cookies to Parmalat, which in turn sold the combined business to Catterton for an undisclosed sum." (SF Gate)

mothers.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
When I was a lad we often had a bag of those in the kitchen pantry, and my siblings and I took great pleasure in trying to sound risqué by saying things like, "Pass me those Mothers."

Rachael

A-List Customer
as a child, my sisters and I would often argue which color tasted better. I was a fan of the white ones, which is odd because I prefer pink Good N Plenty's. One of my sisters would use the sprinkly crumbs at the bottom of the bag as an ice cream topping.

Josephine

One Too Many
MissJeanavive said:
WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HAD CIRCUS ANIMALS?

A few days ago, actually. As soon as I heard about this mid October I went and cleaned out my grocery store. We had the Archway versions here though.

Hondo

One Too Many
My Mom used to buy them for me as a kid, how very sad,
its my hope since closing is recent, someone (please) takes over,
brings it back! New and improved!!!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I too had heard the sad news. My wife bought some circus cookies once she heard. Actually, I don't really like the hard candies on the cookies.
I prefered Mother's macaroons after they had sat out open over night. I liked most Mothers cookies actually.

Sadly,
The Wolf

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Ebay Mother's Cookies

Ha! they have amade their way to Ebay and I am actually thinking about getting a bag to show my kids one day (that is if I have any)...I will keep poking around stores; perhaps I will get lucky at one of the odd ball markets around town.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
*wails*

This is tragic. Those were/are my favorites! After I finish my movie, I am going to Walmart to find some (if there are any) :( .

Brinybay

Practically Family
At first I thought you were talking about these. These are what I remember as a kid. I was relieved that it wasn't so. Nabisco Animal Crackers are still around:

800px-Animalcrackers_lg.jpg

Down2BDapper

Familiar Face
I used to love the oatmeal ones with the white frosting on top. We always had those in the house when I was in junior high, but I haven't had any in years. That's sad.

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Success!

I have had success of building a collection of mother's cookies, the Tea cookies and the Circus Animals!! I was getting sad because I couldn't find those. I lucked out at Walgreen's and Target. Now, I would like to find the Frosted Oatmeal cookies. Now the question is what to do with these pieces of history? eat them, store them...I thought about having a wake at my house and have a ceremonial eating of the cookies in proper attire of course.

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
the wake seems most appropriate

MissJeanavive said:
I have had success of building a collection of mother's cookies, the Tea cookies and the Circus Animals!! I was getting sad because I couldn't find those. I lucked out at Walgreen's and Target. Now, I would like to find the Frosted Oatmeal cookies. Now the question is what to do with these pieces of history? eat them, store them...I thought about having a wake at my house and have a ceremonial eating of the cookies in proper attire of course.

I Looove those little cookies! I remember as a kid trying to discerne the flavor difference between the white and the pink ones.

If you put them away in a time capsule and they out live their shelf-life then someone may eat them and not appreciate them in all their glory. It's best to enjoy them one last time and release their spirit into the great confectionary beyond... That's how I feel about it. :)

~C.K.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
I craved them when I was preggers with my youngest daughter.
I could sit and eat the whole bag.
Actually I would sit and eat the whole bag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24