Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rm williams hat by akubra

hatflick1

Practically Family
It's not shown anywhere but in RM Williams
website. Strange that it isn't offered by
other vendors of Aussie hats.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's custom made for RM Williams and a copy of the hat Mr Williams himself wore. I suspect it is licensed to the store so you won't find it elsewhere. Remember Akubra used to make specific hats for certain stores, Gowings (a now defunct department store) was one notable example.

The RM Williams hat is a nice item, a huge crown and I guess it's a like cross between a Campdraft and a Federation. If you have a small head it may look a bit overstated.

3612_RMW_Banner_intl_770x420_03_1.jpg

Last edited:

diabolicaldog

New in Town
I remember seeing the hat in RM shops and thought it was a "RM" badged Campdraft or Open Road as it was at the time. They had two special colours, a really nice dark moss green and a mid brown. I think the fact that RM wore a really large size makes the crown look that much higher than a regular Campdraft.

viclip

Practically Family
The above sites don't appear to provide any info re felt grade, crown/brim dimensions, the innards (sweat/liner) ... am I just not seeing that info?

viclip

Practically Family
Well I guess that's one way to acquire a Campdraft in Sand or Mid-Brown or both.

I'm tempted to order one in Mid-Brown but that color doesn't look much different from Stetson "Bark". I already have a Gun Club Catera in Bark sporting a thin ribbon thus resembling the Campdraft look.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a Campdraft with the brim turned down all the way around

Having worn and owned both models - the RM seemed to me to have larger crown, but they are similar looking in photos. The RM is fully lined too. I wear a Campdraft often but the RM was just a little large looking for my taste and I didn't want to rebash the thing.

HA179_24.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy