Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMC Deadwood jacket

polloelastico

Familiar Face
I'm about the pull the trigger on this coat but am looking for some fit pics and fit feedback from anyone who owns it (hard to find pics of the collar). I understand the lining is a rayon, I was hoping for a light flannel, but I think that'll be fine. I'm in CA so I don't need a heavy coat and I'm mostly just looking for a three season jacket that I can wear to work casually and be also be my go-to jacket for a bit.

Based on the numbers I've got it looks like either a 42 or 44 is going to be what I need, which is a little odd since I'm usually a 40, but I get that the RMC sizing can be a little all over the maps.

Thanks!

Arizor

One of the Regulars
I've owned a few RMC jackets and I can say as a rule they fit *slim*. I'm 43 chest, 6'1, and I take a minimum 44 in RMC, sometimes a 46.

Such a cool jacket. @Robbie79 has one. Maybe he can share his specs and height/weight to help guide your decision. If I were hunting for an RMC, that jacket would be choice.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
The black RMC Deadwood jacket is my favorite Spring/Summer jacket as the horehide used for it is rather thin - thinner compared to my RMC A-1 and to other mid-weight horsehide jackets I know (Aero's Vicenza, RC + FW + GW Shinki) - perhaps similar to Himel or slightly thinner. Yes, RMC (Joe Mccoy) use rayon lining which I like a lot as it is easy to wear and comfortable. The Shinki they use is different to all others I know but really nice looking IMO and it has a shiny appearance. I would recommend to size up by at least one size or two in case you don't prefer a tight fitting jacket - I chose size 40 (e.g. Aero 38, GW 38, FW size 38 or 40) and I'm 174 cm, 73kg.
Here are some pics which I recently posted - I decided not to take new pics today as it is simply too warm (almost 95F). I hope this helps - if you find the right size, I'm sure you won't regret the purchase!
upload_2019-6-24_13-31-6.png

upload_2019-6-24_13-31-31.png

upload_2019-6-24_13-31-47.png

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I looked up the RMC Deadwood - expecting a late 1800's western-style jacket a la the Deadwood TV series. Very surprised to see much more of a Starsky & Hutch 1970's vibe.

polloelastico

Familiar Face
Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback!

So, as I mentioned, I’m on the fence with a 42 and 44 but am leaning towards the 44 now based in the shoulder measurements alone. The PTP is okay on the 42 (almost ideal really) but the shoulders are 17 3/4 and I really like a minimum of 18, and 18.5 is fine, but not more (I’m 5”11” and 160lbs). Also, since it’s such a light jacket i would like the option to wear a hoodie or light sweater underneath during the cooler months (I’m in Northern California so it’s never super cold). That said, it’s mentally hard to commit to a 44 when I’m usually a solid 40 in other jackets, funny how that works. Unfortunately, with S&S this would be a custom order and the risk is mine.

A couple questions on the leather they use if you don’t mind:

• is it tea core?
  • does the shiney quality wear off, after it gets wet or can it be removed with rubbing alcohol (was be heard on some it’s a silicone top coat they gets applied during the processing and can be removed this way)
  • Since it’s a thinner leather is it going to shrink a little after it gets wet (this will also help me feel more confident sizing up to a 44)

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for taking the time to provide some feedback!

So, as I mentioned, I’m on the fence with a 42 and 44 but am leaning towards the 44 now based in the shoulder measurements alone. The PTP is okay on the 42 (almost ideal really) but the shoulders are 17 3/4 and I really like a minimum of 18, and 18.5 is fine, but not more (I’m 5”11” and 160lbs). Also, since it’s such a light jacket i would like the option to wear a hoodie or light sweater underneath during the cooler months (I’m in Northern California so it’s never super cold). That said, it’s mentally hard to commit to a 44 when I’m usually a solid 40 in other jackets, funny how that works. Unfortunately, with S&S this would be a custom order and the risk is mine.

A couple questions on the leather they use if you don’t mind:

• is it tea core?
  • does the shiney quality wear off, after it gets wet or can it be removed with rubbing alcohol (was be heard on some it’s a silicone top coat they gets applied during the processing and can be removed this way)
  • Since it’s a thinner leather is it going to shrink a little after it gets wet (this will also help me feel more confident sizing up to a 44)
I'm not sure if it is tea core - at the first glance I would say not but this is difficult to say as I haven't worn it that often. I wore it while it was raining a couple of times but the shiney appearance hasn't changed/disappeared, yet. Sizing up to 44 makes sense to me after your explanations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui