road less traveled for jacket nuts? the N-2B flight jacket...am i crazy 4 loving it?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by johnnyjohnny, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

^ Re Buzz L2 jackets, beautiful though they are, I hope Edward doesn't mind me stealing his standard talking point on this issue: "That's a lot of money to spend on a nylon windcheater." ha ha

Edward likes this.
  2. MeachamLake

MeachamLake A-List Customer

I don't think the pricing for some of the Buzz jackets is that crazy when you consider the details involved. Real McCoy's on the other hand... ;)

I have honestly found myself gravitating more towards nylon jackets recently...they're just so much easier to wear than a lot of leather ones, but that's just me.

ButteMT61 likes this.
  3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Heh. I do appreciate what it takes to get the cloth and fittings right, but yeah, I'd love to see the real cost sheet for those.

Still want one, though!

4. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

If buying a nylon jacket were as "easy" as leather, I'd have done the Red BR MA-1.
    I just don't trust that a jacket marketed as a 44 will fit my 47/48 chest...
    *edited for clarification...not that I didn't trust @HPA Rep's thoughts on this. Just too much to risk as it were - esp since Boss said "hell no".

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Edward likes this.
  5. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

How dare you Sir...pistols @ Dawn ...nylon windcheater indeed

6. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Tried what I think equated to a 44 chest Buzz MA-1 recently & found it too snug for the upper part of my frame....unfortunately for me but good for my wallet...

ButteMT61 likes this.
  7. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

XXL??

8. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Yes it was :)

9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Shoulders and chest snug....the rest was fine...

10. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

How about length, arms and pits?

11. Doctor Damage

BN1966 is the wrong guy to ask about length, he's a short length mostly.

bn1966 likes this.
  12. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

$1560. Wow! Think I will pass on this one and all others similar situated.

bn1966 likes this.
  13. Doctor Damage

interesting use of N2B jackets in "Alien 3"

DXM38E.jpg K3GW8T.jpg gettyimages-618270662-1024x1024.jpg
    alien 3 31190283_1.jpg alien 3 31190283_4.jpg alien 3 31190283_8.jpg alien 3 31190283_11.jpg alien 3 31190283_20.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

[​IMG] Ruth Langmore sports an N2B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ton312 likes this.
  15. Doctor Damage

Below is me wearing an Alpha civilian USA-made N2B getting ready to clear the driveway of 10 inches of snow the other day. I used to roll my eyes at N2B jackets, since for several years a while back every teenager wore one, but nobody wears them anymore and having worn this jacket several times in very cold weather, I honestly think they are great winter jackets. The hood of course is amazingly warm and protective, and the knit at the waistband closes up the hem, unlike N3B parkas which are open at the bottom. In extreme cold a knee-length parka with all the drawstrings pulled tight is still going to be preferable, but for all other times, the N2B is great, even this medium quality example (my goodness, they way the sewed on the fur ruff is disastrously bad, haha).

HPIM5026x.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    bn1966 likes this.
  16. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Sold my military Alpha N-2B (too short) & picked up a civvy one for a decent price (not very popular here N-2B's). The civvy Alpha is longer & a better fit, dug it out of the loft last weekend ready for action.

17. Doctor Damage

Couple years back I was keen on a late-period 1980s Alpha military one, but yeah, they kept measuring 24" or shorter in the torso, which would barely cover my belly button! Civilian ones are more accomodating, that's for sure.

18. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Yep..bolero fit some of those service issue ones! I compared the two before selling the military one on, very close in materials & quality, real difference for me was the length. My N-2A original fits about the same as the civvy N-2B.

19. Edward

Edward Bartender

I've seen the same thing happen with MA1s. I'm not a fan of elongating designs in the main as it looks all kinds of wrong very quickly, but it can be done and still not look wrong with some of these nylon jackets. Course, we have to remember they were desogn originally to be worn over aflightsuit with a high waistband, and sometimes with matching trousers as well.

Peacoat likes this.