Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition?1930's era films

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Oooh!

dr greg said:
Did anybody mention Last Exit to Brooklyn, I reckon that eats Cinderella Man for breakfast, fine movie though it was.

This is one of my favourites- it's a piece of theatre-

Set in the early '50s

About the Book-

"Although critics and fellow writers praised the book on its release, Last Exit to Brooklyn caused much controversy due to its frank portrayals of taboo subjects, such as drug use, street violence, gang rape, homosexuality, transvestism and domestic violence. It was the subject of an important obscenity trial in the United Kingdom and was banned in Italy."

...and that's just the book- the Movie would probably not appeal to many here, due to the 'taboo' topics covered.

B
T

moustache

Practically Family
TV series as well

I almost forgot about a television shows. I find that a few do rather well.
For the country style of clothing (and a few dress-ups),The Waltons did well at showing the styles.
I really enjoy that series and have all three sets so far.

JD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Last Exit to Brooklyn

Hubert Selby was a one of a kind underrated American master. His books are all devestating, powerful work. Darren Aronofsky made Requium For a Dream based on another of Sleby's works.

Last Exit... was an extraordinary film, it looked great, managed to account for much of the book and it had excellent peformances all around, especially JJL.

Great pick.

moustache

Practically Family
Just saw it finally

up196 said:
I'm reminded of it every time I drive past the "Barton Arms"

I had not seen Millers Crossing until yesterday.Decided to have a 1930's weekend of that theme only.Have now watched 6 films dealing with that era.
Was impressed with "Miller's Crossing" in the sartorial sense and for scene selection.Not impressed with the story. just didn't do it for me.
Re-watched "The Sting".Now that really was putting you in the 1930's.Delightful film.
Also "The Untouchables".Yes,it is a Hollywood smash-up.Never liked Costner.but a good film nonetheless.
"Seabiscuit" is up next this afternoon.
Also had a bit of fun watching the Marx Brothers movies from the early 1930's.Always good fun!!

JD

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Roger said:
I don't know.:rolleyes: I watched this film, Road to Perdition and like the clothes and enjoyed the cars, but the plot and story was a little boring. I also found the film to be a little to drawn out with the dialogue in monotones.:(

Chinatown? Excellent film.

I agree. Road to Perdition was terrible. Nice hats and cars and some nice sets, but just awful otherwise. Tom Hanks as a tough guy? [huh] So tough that other tough guys back away in fear? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

moustache

Practically Family
Hmmm

jake_fink said:
I agree. Road to Perdition was terrible. Nice hats and cars and some nice sets, but just awful otherwise. Tom Hanks as a tough guy? [huh] So tough that other tough guys back away in fear? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :D

I agree that Hanks as an evil man was a stretch due to his stereotypical roles before.But that was the point of the movie.He was a hitman with a heart.He loved his family and shows that.The lengths to he goes to exact revenge for the crime commited against his wife and son. So,all in all,i thought it well done.Now Daniel Craig did a fine job i thought.As did Paul Newman.
The cars and sets of Chicago were stunning .Especially the scene of him and his boy entering Chicago over one of it's many bridges.Attention to detail was sharp.The soundtrack followed along wonderfully.
Just my .02

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21