Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly anyone??

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I'm sure you've taken your measurements. If someone sells you something with one measurements listed but they are different from what arrives, you need to return it! I occasionally am unlucky, but the vast majority of sales are ok.

Plus with etsy, most sellers are willing to take returns.

Hey, I'll pm you about this. I love vintage but after my bad experiences and since I live so far out from vintage stores, I had kind of given up on it. I love custom repro more than anything but I would like to give Vintage another shot.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
SweetieStarr said:
You can just ditto this whole post for me too, lol. I will add Reverend Horton Heat in the music list.

Yeah, I wasnt sure how picky these board members are about crossing the line from Rockabilly to Psychobilly. Some people really at to see them listed together! I love Jimbo!

Chas

One Too Many
Fletch said:
I know 'billy players still slap the bass on occasion. Have any of them tried playing early jazz?

Jazz bassists refuse to slap under any circumstances. They claim it's rough on the hands and the instrument - but I suspect ignorance.

Yeah? Check out Thelma Terry.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
I used to listen to tons of 'billy, but I guess I got a little tired of it. It's pretty cookie-cutter after a while.

My list:

'Cookie Cutter' or no, the energy is definitely contagious! Very few genres of music get me moving like a good Rockabilly tune. Or make me as happy.

Jay

Practically Family
I still don't know how I feel about rockabilly as a whole. On one hand I love the early stuff like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash (who seems to be in a class of his own) and some of Elvis' early stuff, but anything new seems to smack of that, well, what I think of as Happy Days kind of stuff... ya know, where all the guys have cuffed jeans and white T-shirts and all the girls have poodle skirts. The songs have all the same sounds and all the lyrics seem too blatantly 50s-esque.

Brian Setzer is a damn fine guitarist, though.

Guess I'll just stick with Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly.

cupcake

Familiar Face
Antje said:
I love rockabilly, people seem to see me as a rockabilly person without I noticing it.
Same here! I often have people say things like "you're rockabilly, aren't you?" which always throws me off.

Slightly OT:
I'm watching rockabilly vampire at the moment haha

Lorena B

Practically Family
cupcake said:
Same here! I often have people say things like "you're rockabilly, aren't you?" which always throws me off.

I cant stand that either,
What do they care? you are rockabilly, arent you? like if you were from a different planet!!
Aint going around saying, ohhhh.. you are heavy metal, are you? you are a steampunk, are you?

I am Lorena, how i dress and what i like to hear and dance, yes is obvious but i dont think i need to give explanations about that or what i like to anyone.
Still, after 21 years hearing the same thing, man, i can ignore it but still annoys me

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Lorena B said:
I cant stand that either,
What do they care? you are rockabilly, arent you? like if you were from a different planet!!
Aint going around saying, ohhhh.. you are heavy metal, are you? you are a steampunk, are you?

I am Lorena, how i dress and what i like to hear and dance, yes is obvious but i dont think i need to give explanations about that or what i like to anyone.
Still, after 21 years hearing the same thing, man, i can ignore it but still annoys me

People around here don't even know what the term 'rockabilly' refers to, much less labeling someone as that. They think Toby Keith is rockabilly. :):rolleyes:

Lorena B

Practically Family
LisaFreemontSt said:
People around here don't even know what the term 'rockabilly' refers to, much less labeling someone as that. They think Toby Keith is rockabilly. :):rolleyes:
Bwaahahahalol lol lol

Chas

One Too Many
Jay said:
I still don't know how I feel about rockabilly as a whole. On one hand I love the early stuff like Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash (who seems to be in a class of his own) and some of Elvis' early stuff, but anything new seems to smack of that, well, what I think of as Happy Days kind of stuff... ya know, where all the guys have cuffed jeans and white T-shirts and all the girls have poodle skirts. The songs have all the same sounds and all the lyrics seem too blatantly 50s-esque.

Brian Setzer is a damn fine guitarist, though.

Guess I'll just stick with Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly.

Very little of what those cats do is pure Rockabilly (with the exception of Carl Perkins). Cash only cut a few sides that I would consider 'billy, same with Holly. Setzer played Rockabilly with the Stray Cats, but afterward it was either RnR or Jump Blues/NeoSwing. I really wouldn't consider Berry to be Rockabilly, he's pretty much RnR.

LisaFreemontSt said:

He is so NOT Rockabilly. Rockabilly is "Hillbilly Rock and Roll". A musical form based upon early Rhythm and Blues, Western Swing and Boogie Woogie, pioneered mostly by musicians who recorded for small record labels in the south, i.e. Sun Records (though that wasn't the only label, by far). In the mid 50's the term "Rockabilly" was considered by most of those musicians a pejorative term.

Pure Rockabilly is pretty easy to spot. No drums.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
He is so NOT Rockabilly. Rockabilly is "Hillbilly Rock and Roll". A musical form based upon early Rhythm and Blues, Western Swing and Boogie Woogie, pioneered mostly by musicians who recorded for small record labels in the south, i.e. Sun Records (though that wasn't the only label, by far). In the mid 50's the term "Rockabilly" was considered by most of those musicians a pejorative term.

Pure Rockabilly is pretty easy to spot. No drums.

lol You sound like my husband!

Chas

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner