Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly anyone??

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Chas said:
I used to listen to tons of 'billy, but I guess I got a little tired of it. It's pretty cookie-cutter after a while.

My list:

[*]Another friend of mine, a fine musician with a fine band. Roy Kay
[/LIST]

Charles, you forgot Leon and Shake the Shack!

www.kexp.org Friday nights from 6-9 (PST) Leon's been doing the radio show for 20+ years. He's awesome! You can listen to the show archived for two weeks, or live streaming on Fridays.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Chas said:
There's lots of smokin' rockabilly bands around nowadays; even more in terms of numbers than there was "back in the day". That, and they come from all over the world.

Rip Carson
Lloyd Tripp & The Zipguns
Kim Lenz

totally agree...theres too many to really name......just skip rats were the 1st ones i thought of with no drummer...
i know from lloyd tripp from yrs ago..hes origonally from Chelmsford. and ve seen him a few times with the old line up as well as new..
its great how many briliant "new" bands there are on the scene, i lost abit of touch when i was in the army, although catching up! ive been "rockin" alll my life so cannt pin point favourites..i LOVE THEM ALL!! In the eighties it was stray cats, polecats,Restless, meteors that gave the scene new energy although i also love hazil atkins to bill haley and the saddlemen..
As i said WAY TOO MANY TO CHOSE!

one of the most awesome i have seen play live was Mickey Hawkes when Tom first brought him over to the UK, he was about in his 50s (was only 17 when did screaming mimi jeanie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D_jE-t6Vgc

unfortunatly i also was at dingwalls for his last appearance over here ..he was ill and as much as he tried couldnt carry on.......a great guy who im pleased to have met and seen perform..! xx

Uff Da

New in Town
Babydoll said:
Charles, you forgot Leon and Shake the Shack!

www.kexp.org Friday nights from 6-9 (PST) Leon's been doing the radio show for 20+ years. He's awesome! You can listen to the show archived for two weeks, or live streaming on Fridays.

I'll be sure to tune in this Friday. :)

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Chas said:
There's lots of smokin' rockabilly bands around nowadays; even more in terms of numbers than there was "back in the day". That, and they come from all over the world.

Rip Carson
Lloyd Tripp & The Zipguns
Kim Lenz

Hey! That's me up there, the invisible guy on bass with Rip Carson!:D
From the same or next year, in Italy:
20180_109646882378709_100000001930599_240699_4423162_n.jpg

And an earlier one,Green Bay Wisconsin, from 2002:
6288_102561793087218_100000001930599_70356_3437245_n.jpg

Why he's called Rip:
17340_109672235709507_100000001930599_241311_3973670_n.jpg

Chas

One Too Many
Rip Carson "gives 'er" as the would say in Newfoundland. I'm a fan of Kim Lenz and Mo Hollywood's 'billy group (he also runs an R&B vocal group) in LA.

ChadHahn

New in Town
I first got into Rockabilly when I was in H.S. and the Stray Cats hit the scene. I like the original players. There is a compilation of Sun Records Rockabilly artists that's pretty good.

I too have never understood the getting all into a look. Why can't someone like Rockabilly or Hot Rods with out making a lifestyle out of it? I had some neighbors in college who listened to nothing but the Grateful Dead. Then Phish came around and they had two bands they could listen too. I like the Rolling Stones but I wouldn't listen to them exclusively or dress like Brian Jones on a daily basis.

Chad

Chas

One Too Many
It attracts a subculture following as many styles of music do, like Metal, Goth or Hip Hop. What I find somewhat amusing is the fixation on the "greaser" look/style. That, and the cookie-cutter Betty Page clones. It's a very narrow representation of the culture of the 1950's that it claims (as a scene) to revere.

As far as the hotrods go, many of the cars that you see at say, the Viva Las Vegas shows are not authentic hot rods. Many are, as are the cars referred to as "Rat Rods". Hot rodders (which have been around since the 1920's) of the 1950's would typically have been 1920's, 30's & 40's cars that were hopped up. There are many authentic cars at VLV, however.

So you can't really call a 1960 Cadillac slammed down to ground and riding on airbags an authentic hot rod.

EDIT: I see from the VLV photos that the Betty Page clones have declined in number. That's a good sign.

Have been in to Rockabilly and Psychobilly for the past twenty years. It started with the Reverend Horton Heat and grew from there.

In the same vein, I would recommend catching, if you can, a Big Sandy & His Fly Rite Boys live. A phenomenal show every time no matter how big or small the crowd/venue.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Yepp... Big Sandy is cool stuff!!!

Germany by way of example

We have the latest downturn Rockabilly fashion trend started about 3 years ago or so... there was more stuff in the media and some time you´ve been surrounded by polka dots and related crap in fashion stores.
Hopefully the last retort from musicindustry is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpWAl8C0H0A

Most of the scene here is Greaser orientated the Edwardian style is arround here from the 70s but I guess it´s not so common in the USA.
There is a smaller part more related to the authentic early/ mid 50s thing with a floating crossing to 40s and WW2... so called Hep Cats and some of these guys take it as serious as living historians and reenactors when it comes to clothing and music;)
Myself is more on the authentic side by now... but more with wide views I guess.

The energy of a Big Sandy show, as well as any other rockabilly or psychobilly show I have seen, have always been so positive. The crowds are exceptionally friendly and so postive. A great vibe!

Chas

One Too Many
I don't necessarily consider Big Sandy a Rockabilly musician, I would classify what he does as more Western Swing.

One of the most amazing nights of music I have ever experienced was the night he "sat in" on a "couple of numbers" with Ray Condo. That became an hour and a half of the two most dynamic practitioners of the art of Western Swing I have ever seen. An amazing performance. Ray died a couple of years back, and about a month or so before he played the Derby in Hollywood and folks were lined up out the door and around the block to see him.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JfskQvkydL4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JfskQvkydL4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I thought putting everything in the exact drawer is more a pure german thing... ;)

Call it what you want: It´s good music and gives you a real good time!

Chas

One Too Many
No, my German brother. It's a human thang. If somebody tells me a band is what it is, and I find that it ain't, I'm a little disappointed. It is what it is what it is. If I hear that it's "rockabilly" and psychobilly is what I hear, I go home. If someone says, "well, they kinda play a bit of rockabilly, and surf and old school R&B", then I go with a different frame of mind. But, like Louis Armstrong said, "don't worry 'bout what it is... just go ahead and enjoy it".

That being said, Big Sandy is Western Swing.

Hepville

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean, Chas. When it comes to Doo Wop/ Acapella and the differences seperating the several styles I get very detailed myself (I sing in a vocal group and have my own special bias in this kind of music).

Antje

One Too Many
I really like this guys also!!!!!!!!

[YOUTUBE]1PKSxwIJErs?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner