Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rockabilly subculture

Keep enjoying what's left of it man! I read your post about how it's dwindling in your city, and I feel your pain. Very very few left around here either, and at this point most of us left have growing families, which makes it even harder to get out. I can't even remember the last time a rockabilly band even played a show around here. But during summertime there's still a few killer backyard bbqs and we break out the tiki mugs and crank up some tunes while the meat is cooking

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies! When I learned of the rockabillies I thought it was just hipsters who like the music and affect (ironically?) the usual parts of the culture that are celebrated (bikers, pinup girls), not my conservative cultural statement. (The real '50s including re-enacting as a culture vs. the fake Fifties, like "Happy Days" and "Grease," is a topic in itself.) But I see it can include both them and people like me. I'd love to rig an old TV to make it work and of course want a classic car. This board is more about the '30s and '40s ("Roosebilly," art deco) but broadly covers mid-century (my sweet spot, roughly 1937, the start of the swing era, to 1967, the last of the Fifties). My center of gravity is around the same period as these people, around 1960, but I live in a 110-year-old building so many of my things (furniture, radio, alarm clock) are '40s-early '50s. Just like somebody in 1960 would still have 10 to 15-year-old things. (And Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin had recordings on the pop charts in 1967 - you don't hear about that now.)

Favorite pictures: the third, obviously (pretty girl), the fourth (the working old TV), and the seventh (she really looks like 50 years ago).

The closest things to a rockabilly community around here are the classic-car shows I go to and oldies music but it's not big.

Regarding the cost of these things, two answers: flea markets and eBay! You don't necessarily have to break the bank to live vintage.

I like to say I'm living WITH the past, not in it which of course is literally impossible unless somebody discovers time travel. Sort of like the misunderstood Amish: they're not pretending it's the early 1800s but very selectively use modern things (cars and phones would break up the local church so their use is very restricted; disposable diapers and modern farming methods are fine). For example, my desk is waterfall art deco and has a rotary phone and the machine I am using right now. Things like home computers and microwaves fit the spirit of the time even though they hadn't been invented yet.

Edward

Bartender
I like to say I'm living WITH the past, not in it which of course is literally impossible unless somebody discovers time travel. Sort of like the misunderstood Amish: they're not pretending it's the early 1800s but very selectively use modern things (cars and phones would break up the local church so their use is very restricted; disposable diapers and modern farming methods are fine). For example, my desk is waterfall art deco and has a rotary phone and the machine I am using right now. Things like home computers and microwaves fit the spirit of the time even though they hadn't been invented yet.

Great way of putting it. There's a lot of this sort of thinknig in the Chappist movement, such as it is, albeit with a whole dash of surrealism too.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We had a saying here in the late 90s: old rockers never die, they just buy a sharp suit and seque into big band swing! Well there was always an appreciation of 40s style and music in the 80s Rockabilly scene, but soem of us got more into it as we got older (I was 25 actually, so not much older!). The rockabilly lifestyle here revolves around music and bands, with cars, clothing, furniture etc orbiting around them. It's about style and the aesthetic rather than trying to live in a set 'time'. Listening to the like of Gene Vincent and early Elvis, they were really way ahead of their time anyway; Vincent's Catman is out of control! :D As for me, I love '35-'52 the most, the Swing Era, and I just wish they'd make an art deco cell phone! :cool:

Edward

Bartender
Check Etsy, there's bound to be someone doing a cover for it.... I found some beautiful Dieselpunk reimaginigs of 300 & 400 series telephones as base unit for a mobile, though alas only for iPhones.

Mickey85

New in Town
As far as Lustron homes go, I remember there was a thing in NUVO magazine when I lived in Indy back in the day (well, 2003-2007) about a Lustron in Broad Ripple. Pretty cool - I'd live in one.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
So there is this odd house in my neighborhood... it has always been curious to me because it looks very early 1950s and has never been updated- it looks like it is probably sporting the same color it was originally. Thanks to this thread I learned it is a Lustron- and apparently it is all nearly original according to the registry. Now I wonder what would happen if I knocked on the front door and asked about it...

And I just learned that they are actually late 1940s... I would have thought they were later than that. Must be ahead of their time.

There is no down side. If you look halfway decent and are respectful they will probably be flattered and invite you in, and tell you what is what and all about it.

Worst case, they tell you to buzz off. What have you got to lose?

PS Saturday morning about 9 or 10 is the best time to find people at home, with time to chat.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I have a scunner on Lustron because they took the Tucker factory after the government forced Tucker out of business. Have never known whether Lustron was part of the conspiracy to scuttle the Tucker or if they just happened to want the factory when it became available.

buelligan

One of the Regulars
Lustron didn't take the Tucker factory after the government forced Tucker out of business, Lustron homes were made right here in Columbus,Ohio at a old North American Aircraft factory. Tucker may have wanted that factory and was forced to build his cars in Chicago after the North American plant was given to Lustron but he never actually built his cars there.
Also after watching the movie "Tucker a man and his dream" and a movie about Lustron homes I'm struck by the similarities of how the government dealt with them after it became clear that the government wasn't going to be able to strong arm either company in to running like the government thought it should run.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There is no down side. If you look halfway decent and are respectful they will probably be flattered and invite you in, and tell you what is what and all about it.

Worst case, they tell you to buzz off. What have you got to lose?

PS Saturday morning about 9 or 10 is the best time to find people at home, with time to chat.

Yeah, unless they've seen me standing out at the curb staring at the house the past couple of times I went by. ;) Then they likely will call the cops on approach.

All kidding aside, I'll probably stop by someday and ask them. Since the house is registered on the site, I can imagine whomever lives there is an enthusiast and would likely welcome someone who is interested.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
It appears the Tucker movie played fast and loose with the facts. It gave the impression that Tucker was ousted from his factory and it was given to Lustron. This is not true.

Apparently Lustron wanted the factory but Tucker got it instead. So Lustron located elsewhere. After Tucker went out of business, Ford took over the factory.

My apologies to Lustron and Lustron fans everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24