Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Roll Up Panama surprise

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I posted about this panama a week or so ago and it finally came. When I pulled it out of the bamboo tube I thought I had bought a hat that would look good on a scarecrow out in the corn field. The crown was a total stove pipe shape and the brim was all wavy and the way around.

But I thought I'd try to steam it and shape it and see how it would turn out. I was really surprised that it came out fairly decent. Still some wrinkles from being folded up but it adds to the character. It only weighs 30 grams.

panamahatpic-1.jpg

IMG_20070713_0001.jpg

IMG_20070713_0001_1_r1.jpg

fedoralover

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well done!

I saw that auction but shied away because of the crown issue. You really did a great job. :eusa_clap

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
This hat was so floppy I wasn't sure if it was possible to shape with steam only. But I just held it over the teapot I always use and held in the pinch while the steam went over the straw. I took care not to heat it up too much to avoid cooking it. So I just did a little at a time and it held the shape. It shows that a lot of hats that look like real losers can be brought back to wearable condition.

fedoralover

cookie

I'll Lock Up
fedoralover said:
This hat was so floppy I wasn't sure if it was possible to shape with steam only. But I just held it over the teapot I always use and held in the pinch while the steam went over the straw. I took care not to heat it up too much to avoid cooking it. So I just did a little at a time and it held the shape. It shows that a lot of hats that look like real losers can be brought back to wearable condition.

fedoralover

The quality Montes are remarkable things. I would have a nice wide Art Fawcett type ribbon installed.

art92101

One of the Regulars
$25 Superstar

At $25 bucks that hat is a SUPER buy. Your pinch really punched the hat up Looks great!! Well done.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Can we get a closeup on the weave? It looks like you struck gold.

Well I'm sure it's only Fools Gold Bob.

I think this was a hat made to sell to tourists who wanted to be able to say they have a Panama hat. The brim and the crown are actually two pieces woven together. It is an extremely tight and delicate weave to be sure but 2 pieces non the less. The edge isn't sewn but it's not really a back weave either, kinda like they whipped stitched the entire edge, which would have take a long time given the size of the straw used. The crown is woven differently too, I'm not sure if you can see it but there aren't really any vuelta's. It really doesn't matter to me much as it will serve it's purpose to be a very light weight hat to wear in the yard. Here's the best pics I could get.

this is where the crown and brim are sewn together
IMG_20070714_0001_1.jpg

this is the inside of the crown
IMG_20070714_0001_2.jpg

fedoralover

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
One way or the other, Fedoralover, you did a heck of a nice job with this hat.:eusa_clap

BTW, I absolutely love the bamboo in the photos. So, you can grow bamboo in the Great Northwest? Who knew...?

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
In casting about for threads on panama lids, I came across this one.

Just had to bump this, as I love the photos of Fedoralover in his panama next to the bamboo. Add Fedoralover to the list of Hat Forum members that we miss...

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24