Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rollers in public

Staci

New in Town
My mom started setting my hair at an very early age in the 60’s. She would wash and set her hair then mine every night after diner in plastic rollers using roller pins and hair clips to secure them.
She was very concern with then being very secured so that every morning every roller would still be perfectly set. This invoked using Dippity Do, Aquanet Extra Hold, a tightly knotted hair net like their used in the salon, 30 minutes under the hood dryer, and then right before bed there was the satin bouffant slumber cap. At first the pins and clips would digging in to my head and the more I move the worse it got keeping me up but after many night I learn how to get comfortable and sleep like a baby. Most morning the rollers would come out and mom would create the perfect hairdo, but Saturdays the cap and hair net came off and any loosen rollers were tighten and secure for this set was meant for Sunday morning church. Saturday was a day to grocery shopping, shopping for clothes or shoes, and a visit to nail salon. A full day with a head full of rollers fully exposed no scarf or cover except in foul weather. Mom dressed me in my prettiest dresses with all trimmings. Everywhere we when most women had their hair in rollers , curlers, or pin curls. In the grocery store it seem it would be embassing to go shopping without rollers. When I reach my mid teens I still slept in rollers but became more concern with going out in public in rollers because of ads on tv, “rollers in your hair, shame on you” or the one where they show different girls bumping in to cute guys with rollers in their hair and blowing their chance at love. I imagine my self going to the store and their he is right front of me with hair in 20 something large bright colored rollers with metal clips sticking out in every directions. I imagine him screaming in terror and running away. As I got older and busier I got over it and began go out on errands in rollers and while some give me looks many are impressed but it is the easier and best way to have great hair.

Eva Granch

New in Town
I jog/work out in the evenings, 3 times a week tops. I just pineapple my hair or put it in a very loose bun while exercising. If my hair gets sweaty I rinse my scalp/roots with water and/or conditioner and rub to remove the sweat without disrupting the style too much.

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
Shirley Temple who was famous for her curls often wore her hair in curlers under a scarf in public. Here is some video footage at 2:46 you can see Shirley with her hair covered in a scaf. Link:

And I do remember reading that some women even wore their hair in rollers to work in a hair scarf if they were going out that evening. I have my self worn a turban hat to work when I did not have time to do my hair and no one at work said any thing about my hat. And I even wore a rosie style crocheted scarf too. Still that depends on the rules of where you work.

Last edited:

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
I've never worn rollers in public. If I don't have time to set my hair I put it in a bun or some kind of up-do. Well, it's too long to set at this point anyway, but when it was shorter--same thing.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I go out in rollers all the time. Depending on the errand, I sometimes forgo a scarf or cover. Most of the time I try to be decent and wear some sort of cover, but other times it's just impossible to get a lasting set -- say for a performance -- without it being in your hair all day and if I have to leave the house, then the rollers are coming with me. It is funny how many folks find it charming! I say, you think it looks cute now, wait until I style it!!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
How about a man in rollers?
I've seen many a guy in Rollers, even pink ones.
pink.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I remember once when in college and I knew an older lass who lived downtown in a ritzy Lake Shore Drive high rise,
I called to drop by one morning and she protested that she was wearing rollers. Told her not to mind as I didn't.
And she knocked me out she was so gorgeous. I missed class that day, and a dean's appointment over truancy....

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I thought of you guys the other day... while meeting up with a friend (where we both had rollers in our hair), we were both complimented by various folks throughout our lunch. Prior to that, on my way to meet her, finally in all my years of wearing rollers in public, with all the compliments about how cute I look or how they love my look... from men and women of all races, I finally, FINALLY got an honest question and it took a black man to ask, "What will your hair look like when it's done?" Yes!! Finally! Someone understood that this is not my final form! Ahahaha 20190216_135614b.jpg

Alli Ooh

New in Town
This thread makes me laugh.

A co-worker at my morning job was telling me how glamorous my life seems (I'm an actress). As I was standing at the gas station, in the rain, in my sweats with no-makeup, hair in rollers, I'm thinking, "Gee, I feel so glam right now!)lol

I've been alot of strange places in my rollers before shows. I've gotten used to the strange looks.

Same here! (Not an actress, but something like that)
I love heading out before work in my rollers. No one’s ever actually looked at me strange. I just feel like I’m glammin’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112