Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rope (1948)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I believe the gayness was supposed to be hinted at in the dominance and submissiveness of the leads. Then again, many people act dominant and submissive and they are not gay at all. So it could be read either way. (And many people are gay and are not dominant and submissive at all, so, again, the characters' topness and bottomness don't necessarily point to that.)
I just assumed they were gay based on their refined diction and elegant clothing.
<covers head with both arms, runs like hell> lol

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, even though you were joking, this brings up another question I've wondered about for a long time. Perhaps best in another thread? Dunno. The question is, how crass, crude, stupid, and philistinish has society gotten when there ACTUALLY ARE people who exist who think that dressing decently and having an acquaintance with art and wine and speaking in complete sentences is a sign of gayness? Or that masculinity is incompatible with shined shoes and a good tie? This is so different from the world in which my father grew up (he was born in 1921), the world we all seek to emulate on the Lounge ...

I guess we covered a lot of this in the thread about the film Idiocracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn