Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ROYAL ENFIELD CYCLE

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well- they (Indian produced)were poorly made but the new production ones are much better quality- new improved engine tooling, casting and electricals. Y
ou can buy them new from dealers (in various guises)all over- including the US.
I once thought about importing some of the 'old' ones to Europe but the level of interest in the marque is very small- although you can buy racing internals for the engines. They were never a very popular bike.

British bikes have a reputation for leaking oil- hence the Enfield's nickname; Royal Oilfield.

B
T

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
I used to own...

...an Enfield bicycle. Does that count?;)

I've been interested in Royal Enfields since I first saw one about six years ago. I've been on motorcycles since I was 8 (that's 25 years ago, now) and have been seriously considering getting one of the newer-production Royal Enfields as an around-town bike. My only bike at the moment is a BMW R1100S, which is spectacular but a bit much for trips up the street to the grocery store or post office.

I saw a review of a new Royal Enfield several years ago in Classic Bike Guide, a British magazine, that detailed some of the fit and finish issues. One thing I remember is that one of the footpegs was about 1.5 inches longer than the other, for no reason. It just had a length of steel rod sticking out from under the rubber peg grip. If a flaw on something as basic and simple as that was allowed out of the factory, I'd be nervous about larger issues cropping up, as well.

However, where else are you going to find a "classic" bike of decent quality, in brand new condition, for just a few thousand bucks?

Me? I think I'd go for a /2 Beemer instead. It wouldn't be new, but I could probably find a properly restored example for about the cost of a new Royal Enfield.

I remember something about a French ersion of the BMW called a Ratier (?) it was a little faster and had a shift set up on the handle bar in conjunction with the foot shifter. Supposedly a lot of fun.

My cousin in Denmark has had 3 or 4 Dunstall Norton's that were very cool bikes although I think he has a Laverda Jota now for his main bike.

My Mom's dad had a Harley, the family was in Varde Denmark.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Denmark-

Here in Denmark, there are a lot of old Nimbus motorcycles on the road-

bakken_01.jpg

They have a straight-4 engine with exposed valve gear- as you can see.

B
T

BellyTank said:
Here in Denmark, there are a lot of old Nimbus motorcycles on the road-

bakken_01.jpg

They have a straight-4 engine with exposed valve gear- as you can see.

B
T

Dang! That is a car with two wheels! The engine is huge. I wonder what riding one of those is like.
I have seen a Harley running a 350 small block Chevy but that did not come from the factory that way. :eek: ;)

Regards,

J

Speedster

Practically Family
The Nimbus engine is 750 cc with overhead cam. Cruising speed was best at 80-100 km. Top speed around 120 km. The bike was/is bulletproof. Produced from 1934 upto beginning of the 60'ies. Spareparts was produced untill 1970. The last "new" Nimbus was built 5-10 years ago from original spare parts.
30 years ago, when i was in high-school you could by them for 200.- $. Today they reach 10,000.- $

Here is a close up of the engine:

NIMBUSENGINE.jpg

And here is a picture of the Boss Hoss with a 502 cui Chevy engine:

BossHoss.jpg

Speedster

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Tansverse mounted FE 390 Ford.

This is the one I was talking about- it's in NZ at a very good car museum-

I think it's quite nice looking and sensibly constructed for such a monster-

"Christened "the Black Beast"?, this amazing exhibit is the largest motorcycle licensed for New Zealand roads. Custom-built by Mr John Curtin, it has clocked up over 12,000 km.
Ford V8 390 cu in water-cooled engine, with Welland heads and Holley carb. Daimler fluid fly-wheel."

getimage.jpg

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran