Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Royal Stewart lining

borisna

A-List Customer
Hi guys

I picked Royal Stewart lining for my HWM and now having second thoughts,
I have seen different photos of this lining and sometimes it's looking bright red other times more faded :

DSC_0023.jpg

87146935.jpg

For those of you owning a jacket with this lining, which one of the photos is closer to reality? and how does this tartan looks after a while?

Thanks

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I don't own the lining but the top picture would be more realistic I would think. The second picture looks like someone has lightened the picture badly.

I am sure that someone will be able to post a good pic of the Royal Stewart.

Edward

Bartender
Your first photo is, I believe, accurate, the second one not. (At least from experience of that wool and my monitor). If you want something more muted, talk to Aero and see if they can do you the Royal Stewart as an "Ancient" (or "weathered"). In contemporary tartans, the same pattern will often be available in a couple of different versions. The "modern" will be the brighter colours, the "weathered" or "ancient" a muted version of the same. The official story is usually along the lines of the latter representing "what it would have been like in ancient Scotland, before modern dyes and/or after wearing in the harsh environment of the Highlands blah blah blah". Of course, reality is somewhat different, tartan as we now know it being largely an Anglo-Scottish invention in the Victorian era when the prohibition on certain Scottish cultural expressions (including bagpipes and kilts) that followed in the wake of the Jacobite rising and the subsequent Highland Clearances was finally lifted. This would have been around the same time that the Gaelic Revival developed steam as a fashionable movement among Anglo-Irish landownders - one of no doubt many eras of "fashionable ethnicity" in history. Nonetheless, that's how the offerings are with tartan these days.

Here's a good example from the Lochlorran site:

Blair Modern:

stro_blr_mr.jpg

Blair Ancient:

stro_blr_ar.jpg

Identical patterns, different shades. I can't find a picture of Royal Stewart in a weathered or ancient form on there - if they don't do that one that way, there are plenty of other tartans in a predominantly red hue but a more muted shade that you might also consider.

borisna

A-List Customer
with this tartan i actually prefer it bright red like the first photo, and that is why i want to know if it fades with time,
right now I cant decide if to stick with this tartan or ask for this Harris Tweed lining :
260325_162799017120861_138687916198638_380913_7215636_n.jpg

I have a feeling that the Tweed stays pretty much the same with time

Seawolf

Familiar Face
Honestly, unless you're washing a fabric often, or letting it sun bathe, I can't imagine any reason why it would fade. Just my two cents.

borisna

A-List Customer
Thanks for the photo UWEZ, you got a very nice jacket :)
can you please post a photo with the jacket opened?
also how warm is this tartan?

UWEZ

New in Town
Hi borisna,

I took some photos for you from the inside of the HWM. I have 4 Aero jackets with tartan lining and I like their colors and the texture. They don't make the jacket very warm and are relatively thin, not like the Tweed in the jacket above.
My HWM I am wearing all year around, either only with T-shirt in summer or with wool sweaters in the winter. In cold temperatures the HH gets pretty stiff.
Greetings
Uwe

P1000678.jpg

P1000677.jpg

borisna

A-List Customer
Thank you very much for the photos UWEZ :)
Your second photo is exactly what i was looking for, I also ordered a leather strip on the bottom so to actually see how this will look with the stewart tartan is great :thumb:

borisna

A-List Customer
Hi Griff

I like the Tweed as well, I think it has a more classy look
but i am afraid that it is warmer than the tartan, and will be too much here in Israel :israel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24