Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRP vs. price war for new or nearly new qualitative garments on the market

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I also know people working in Savile Row who have lost jobs; I'm guessing the issue there is less clientele not having the money, more the lack of need of a new suit if they're not in the office / going out.

I used to wear a suit every day when going to the office. I haven't seen the office since March 2020 because of Covid, which also means I haven't worn a suit since.

I like nice suits but as opposed to nice jackets I don't wear/buy them as a hobby. Therefore there's no reason to buy them anymore. I guess this holds for a lot of people with office/sales jobs.

Edward

Bartender
I used to wear a suit every day when going to the office. I haven't seen the office since March 2020 because of Covid, which also means I haven't worn a suit since.

I like nice suits but as opposed to nice jackets I don't wear/buy them as a hobby. Therefore there's no reason to buy them anymore. I guess this holds for a lot of people with office/sales jobs.

Absolutely, this is my point. I've been holding off buying any new suits myself, not because I don't want to, but because I'm trying to shift lockdown weight first, and I'm also trying to save a bit of money and clear out a lot of old clothes. The clear out is the big challenge as none of our local charity shops are open at present and I won't bin perfectly wearable clothes, such a waste. I would happily wear a suit at home; I still regularly wear a tie (of course, in the University we don't have a dress code as such, many of my senior colleagues never wear a tie if they can avoid it, including one who was a partner in several major firms for many years before coming to work with us, and who takes a child like glee in not wearing a tie to work since joining us). I know that's not the "norm" though, and I've definitely see it in action. I get the Charles Tyrwhitt catalogue in the door every few months, and their whole focus has shifted to what was previously their "weekend" collection. I don't even think there was a single suit in the last one.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good thread.....

Spoke to one of the leather jacket big guns recently & they said business is booming....no sales there.

On the flip side I’ve been getting lots of sales items recently at as low as a quarter of the RRP (£200 Textile bike jacket for £50). Just visited the SJC sale for a fetching sweater at under half price.

Without the usual outlets for my $$$$$ there’s been more disposable than usual which has seen a wardrobe overhaul inc 2 new leather jackets (5*) and lots of other clobber mainly from Pike Brothers.

Have been selling on the bay a little to clear wardrobe space and create more funds. Shifted 2 Pike T shirts & an Alpha B-15 at around half of their original RRP.

It was so cold this morning that the ELC RAF sweater came out, I’ve only worn it about twice since purchasing & then briefly. On getting home with said sweater I took it off an noticed a rash on my neck. The RAF is now on eBay for just over half RRP on a BIN, will lower it to half in a couple of days if it’s not sold.

jchance

One of the Regulars
I like paying a fraction (usually around 35%) of the retail price for a second-handed piece, just in case it doesn't fit that well in person and I can recoup most, if not all, of what I paid for to try it on. eBay's pricing (as well as other places like etsy) has been insane in the past few years, and I tend to avoid them if I can. Instead, I frequent JP sites, shopgoodwill, poshmark, facebook marketplace, and local thrift shops for affordable pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner