Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rue's Movie Picks

djd

Practically Family
The Thin Man films are among my favourites too. Myrna Loy was gorgeous and so popular back in the 30s - voted Queen of Hollywood to Gables king. Hardly anyone knows her now :(

rue

Dodsworth (1936) with Walter Huston, Mary Astor, Ruth Chatterton and a small appearance by David Niven. I've seen this one before, but since I came across it on YT I watched it again, because it was so good. I wouldn't really call it a drama, but it's not a comedy either.

Second Honeymoon (1937) with Tyrone Power, Loretta Young, Stuart Erwin, Claire Trevor and Lyle Talbot. Another movie with Power and Young that's really cute :)

She Married Her Boss (1935) with Claudette Colbert and Melvyn Douglas. This movie was really good even with the goofy ending.

rue

Love Affair (1935) with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer. This movie has two other remakes........ the one in 1994 with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening and the one in 1957 named An Affair to Remember with Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr, but I hadn't seen this version until today. I love it just as much as the others and it's well worth seeing.

Sleepless in Seattle references the movie a few times, so every time I watch one of the above versions I think of this scene in that movie:

[video=youtube;lFG-EUPe_Cs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFG-EUPe_Cs[/video]

It cracks me up because I think that's how most women feel when they watch it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
It cracks me up because I think that's how most women feel when they watch it.
That scene in An Affair to Remember is awfully moving. Whenever I see it I must harness every fiber of my being to maintain my stoicism............:violin:

Seriously though, if you find somebody who is not touched by that scene, they probably don't like kittens and puppies either.

rue

Marriage Is a Private Affair (1944) with Lana Turner, John Hodiak and James Craig. I turned this movie on right before bed thinking that I'd start it and finish it the next day, but it was so riveting I ended up watching the whole thing and stayed up way too late.

These Three (1936) with Miriam Hopkins, Merle Oberon and Joel McCrea. It also stars Bonita Granville as one of the most obnoxious children I've ever watched in a movie.

It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947) with Don DeFore, Ann Harding, Charlie Ruggles and Victor Moore. A darling feel good movie :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
But did you realize that These Three is Lillian Hellman's play The Children's Hour "triangularlized" because it was impossible to even suggest a lesbian relationship in a 1930s film? (The play was also considered scandalous, but the theater wasn't under the grip of the Production Code.)

See the 1961 film of The Children's Hour with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley McLean for comparison. (Interestingly, both movies were directed by William Wyler!)

rue

I read that when I looked it up and was really shocked that there was a play with a lesbian relationship during that time. It must have been a HUGE scandal. I'll have to check out the later version to see how it was meant to be. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Mostly, I couldn't get over that kid.... she was horrible :eeek:

rue

I have not seen ANY of these! How do you find movies like these, it doesn't seem like Netflix is an option for a lot of old films :-(

Hi Toni Jo :)

If you click on any of the movies I've recommended and then look on the side there are more movies in code and I just keep clicking until I find something I want to watch. I thought Netflix would be great, but it isn't the best way to find them [huh] and besides, I can watch these on my laptop when I'm doing something mundane like folding laundry :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
You can watch Netflix moveis on your laptop, too. I mean, most laptops have a DVD drive, and in any case, Netflix streams a lot of great old movies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24