Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum Lovers - Good Quality Rums

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Cigarband said:
Captain Morgan, and Malibu, should properly be called distilled alcohol with spices and flavorings added. They are nothing like a really fine rum.
And I suppose you think that Budweiser shouldn't be called beer.;)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
CopperNY said:
Ron Zacapa 23 Anos.

cane juice rather than molasses. solera method aging.

it's what i use to convince people that rum isn't just a 'mixer'.

I had my first Ron Zacapa about a month ago. Distinct waves of alcohol followed by round creamy caramel then a distinct sugar cane finish. Now THAT tastes like rummmmmmmmmmmm.

CaptainB

Familiar Face
St.Ignatz said:
I had my first Ron Zacapa about a month ago. Distinct waves of alcohol followed by round creamy caramel then a distinct sugar cane finish. Now THAT tastes like rummmmmmmmmmmm.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Ron Millonario Solera 15 Reserva Especial too - I tried it today and it really is a fine rum!

Best regards,
Captain B

ClothesHorse

Familiar Face
As others have said-

Mt Gay is great-- I was bartending at a nice resteraunt with a nice bar attached when the old time bartender introduced me to this lovely rum.

Gosling's Black Seal Rum -- great with ginger ale/beer and a squeeze of lemon or lime--working at a liquor store part time, great owner advised me to try it. -- Due to local liquor laws it was very difficult to get in the state. Even had a sales rep years later send me a bottle.

I've tried all three Cruzans and found them nice for mixing.

Enjoy your drink.

CH

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
I absolutely love rum, but it seems like the only well known cocktails are tropical drinks, and when I'm in a bar, bamboo umbrellas seem a little inappropriate...:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me some well known rum cocktails that I could order without feeling silly?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Rum in my bar...

Upon looking in the vintage bar recently to take stock of what I had for Vintage Music Listening Evening I realized that I had:

1. Bacardi White
2. Pussers
3. Cruzan Black Strap
4. Lemonhart (Guyana)
5. Coruba Rum

However, I am taken aback that there are two rums that people have not mentioned that is IMHO the two best and smoothest rums on this planet.

1. Havana Club Reserva
2. Lemonhart (Jamaican...not the kind imported from Guyana.

As a Cocktailian and a Tiki drink junkie, I make it a point to have good rum in the house. Therefore, the Cruzan white, Myers white, Havana Club and Jamaican Lemonhart will be making it into the new tiki bar I'm stocking for our party in August. (HINT TO LOS ANGELES LOUNGERS)

FG.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:
I absolutely love rum, but it seems like the only well known cocktails are tropical drinks, and when I'm in a bar, bamboo umbrellas seem a little inappropriate...:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me some well known rum cocktails that I could order without feeling silly?

Grog! It was good enough for the Royal Navy. Grog is Pusser's Rum and water with lime juice and sugar!

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
I'm pretty new to rums and have been fortunate enough to have gotten hold of some pretty nice ones. I brought back a couple Havana Clubs from vacation and have not my last bottle of Ron Zacapa in the cabinet. I am extremely hesitant to mix these rums as they stand alone so well. Is there a "good rum cut off" for mixing?
Yours in inebriants ,

Tom D.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
FedoraGent said:
...However, I am taken aback that there are two rums that people have not mentioned that is IMHO the two best and smoothest rums on this planet.

1. Havana Club Reserva...

Amen, good sir! I admit to a horrible pro-Cuban bias (after all, my father married a gal from the island), but this one is certainly my favourite!

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:

Oh, I forgot. How about a Mojito then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters