Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rum Lovers - Good Quality Rums

Silke

New in Town
Lovely thread, other than Pisco, rum is the one thing I drink. I wish I was more of a connoisseur though!

My only experience other than the types not worth mentioning has been the Matusalem Gran Reserva.

I'll definitely check this thread out for inspiration.

ValenciaCalling said:
I absolutely love rum, but it seems like the only well known cocktails are tropical drinks, and when I'm in a bar, bamboo umbrellas seem a little inappropriate...:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me some well known rum cocktails that I could order without feeling silly?

"Fidel Castros" should work for you, lime, ginger ale, rum. I love them, very refreshing.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Pyrat!

And those hand-blown bottles are impossible to recycle. Someday I'll refill 'em; until then, they'll keep catching light in my garden window.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Some reading for those interested in sipping rums:
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/articles/boston_magazine_liquids_sipping_rum/

One of my personal favorites:
appleton%20state%5B5%5D.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Fedoragent already mentioned it, but I have to agree. Havana Club Reserva is just the cat's pajamas.

I've never really regarded rum as a sipping liquor until - thanks to Fedoragent - I had the chance to sample Havana Club.
rums.jpg

Dave the Hick

New in Town
Ron Zacapa 23 Anos.

cane juice rather than molasses
Then what you have is not rum, but cachaça, AKA aguardente or aguardiente ("burning water"). Which for my money is better.

I have a friend with contacts all over the Caribbean (don't ask) who brought me several bottles from micro-distilleries. I don't remember the names, but I remember the quality.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Dave the Hick said:
Then what you have is not rum, but cachaça, AKA aguardente or aguardiente ("burning water"). Which for my money is better.

I have a friend with contacts all over the Caribbean (don't ask) who brought me several bottles from micro-distilleries. I don't remember the names, but I remember the quality.

A couple few decades past a friend brought aguardiente back from Columbia and it was a whole different critter.

Dave the Hick

New in Town
It varies a lot in flavor and quality. In some you can taste the sugarcane. In others all you taste is alcohol and pain.

Lancealot

Practically Family
ValenciaCalling said:
I absolutely love rum, but it seems like the only well known cocktails are tropical drinks, and when I'm in a bar, bamboo umbrellas seem a little inappropriate...:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me some well known rum cocktails that I could order without feeling silly?

A Dark and Stormy. Dark Rum, ginger beer (or ale) and a lime wedge.

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Pyrat XO is really good stuff. There's 4 levels, the really old stuff is the tastiest. So smooth and naturally sweet.

On the cheap, sailor jerry isn't bad, definitely drinkable straight. I think it's flavored with cherry or something, but it's subtle.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Has anyone tried The Kraken Dark Spiced Rum? It's been getting great reviews among the booze-o-blog-o-sphere. I've been trying to find it here in Utah, but the DABC :)rage:) never pays attention to the latest liquors, thus Utah lags way behind the rest of the nation.

(I love the bottle!)
6a00d8345250f069e20120a68052f3970c-550wi.jpg

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Hexenmeister said:
Has anyone tried The Kraken Dark Spiced Rum? It's been getting great reviews among the booze-o-blog-o-sphere. I've been trying to find it here in Utah, but the DABC :)rage:) never pays attention to the latest liquors, thus Utah lags way behind the rest of the nation.

(I love the bottle!)
I like it. Not really a Spice Rum like Sailor Jerry. More subtle spices.
It makes a great substitute for any drink that calls for Cruzan black strap rum or Goslings dark Rum.
I use it in my dark and stormys.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I usually drink Captain Morgan's, or a bit of Sailor Jerry when the mood strikes :) At the bar I went to last night they were out of rum! Had to make do with Malibu, which was nice... but not what I was after x

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
Hexenmeister said:

(I love the bottle!)
I've never seen that before! It looks amazing though x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo