Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUM?!

alphy27

One of the Regulars
Give it to me dark.

Hot, cold, mixed with fruit juices, mixed with spices, all very tasty options. My favorite is Myer's Original Dark Jamaican. Cooks up super duper in a Bananas Foster as well. Oh so yummy.

drjones

A-List Customer
rummmmmmmmmmmmmm

My favorite rum has GOT to be Bacardi. But I am kind new at them so I am willing to try other rums....any suggestions?

DRJONES

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
There is nothing like a well-mixed mojito on a hot day.
In a tony New York place I once had a mojito flavored with purple basil. Strange taste, but it is a member of the mint family. It went nicely with the syrup and rum and I could see how one might acquire the taste.

Mike K.

One Too Many
drjones said:
My favorite rum has GOT to be Bacardi. But I am kind new at them so I am willing to try other rums....any suggestions?
Try anything BUT Bacardi. I'd recommend a sampling of rums from various countries. You can find the smaller size bottles or just go with the full liters and build a great collection. :D

Has anyone here tried Rum Jumbie?
an_12.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I am going to Trinidad and Guyana next week, hopefully I will bring back lots of the good stuff. I think a visit to the El Dorado distillery is on the itinerary.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a rum connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination but I really enjoy Lamb's Navy Rum. It is the one I tend to buy for the liquor cabinet.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Vladimir Berkov said:
I am going to Trinidad and Guyana next week, hopefully I will bring back lots of the good stuff. I think a visit to the El Dorado distillery is on the itinerary.
Ah, Trinidad, my favorite. I never really found a Trini rum that was outstanding but you'll have to pick up some of the island specialities - Angostura bitters and coffee. Trinidad actually produces some of the finest coffee. Don't forget to try a "double" (a.k.a. roti) while you're there.

Mojito

One Too Many
Friday night brought me a happy reunion with Pussers' Rum, which I haven't had since leaving the UK. It has only recently been imported into Oz, apparently. The importers were sponsoring an event on Sydney Harbour, so the social club from work was selling it at the bar. I'm useless at most other social club activities, but can manage bar work very well. A downpour sent the boaties home, and a group of us adjourned with rum and musical instruments into the lower decks of a 19th century barque. The rum might be responsible for the Charleston I danced to a piano accordian and guitar version of "I Will Survive."

Now I'll need to buy a bottle of their OP special label!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm no expert, but I tried (well more than tried) this rum when I was in Vegas for the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly weekend, and I loved it.
http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/11/sailor_jerry_rum_spiced_with_attitude.php
I thought it would be more of a novelty thing for the tattooed masses, but I thought it was darn good.
Unfortunately, I can't find it at my local liquor stores.
What's YOUR favorite rum? I ain't talking about Captain Morgan or Malibu either!

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
I love Sailor Jerry. You can get it pretty much anywhere out here...It has been in our home bar now since we spied it. Plus the bottle is just kick @ss. :D

My brother in Brooklyn who is a bartender turned me on to it...I am surprised you haven't seen it out there in NY.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
desi_de_lu_lu said:
I love Sailor Jerry. You can get it pretty much anywhere out here...It has been in our home bar now since we spied it. Plus the bottle is just kick @ss. :D

My brother in Brooklyn who is a bartender turned me on to it...I am surprised you haven't seen it out there in NY.
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! It's good, right??

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
flat-top said:
Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! It's good, right??

Yeah for sure it is good.. I was surprised. It actually tasted better at home than at Viva.. (lol taste buds were dead).

I love the way it smells.. like caramel or vanilla. If it didn't brand me a lush, I would put it in my coffee in the morning. :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner