Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RUM?!

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:

Same here. I burned through a bottle of Leblon with friends and family over the weekend. I'm working on a bottle of Pitu now, I like Leblon a lot better.

James, tell me more about this Aguardente.

Mojito

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
for dark I liked Planter's Punch and Pussers.

With the hot weather we have been making Mojitos from scratch and using Bacardi Silver.
I have a giant granite mortar and pestle to facilitate the muddling of palm sugar, rum, ice and lots of mint fresh from the garden. Nothing like it for a summer drink.

Cachaça is fabulous as well. We have a host of Uruguayan friends who bring us back bottles every time they go home for a visit. The plastic bottles it comes in remind me of what we use locally for metholated spirits! Great stuff, though.

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Sailor Jerry is tied for my favorite drink! Love it love it love it! I too thought that it was more of an advertising ploy to market a cheap run. I have to say that several months ago I was corrected. I remember when it was only available by special order in magazines. I had no clue it had even hit the store shelves! So I splurged and purchased a small bottle and fell in love. Good good stuff! In fact I may be a little more fond of it than I should be! lol

And yes- the bottles are great!!

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Visted the store to fill some gaps in my bar and noticed the Liquor store here now sells Sailor Jerry picked it up because of the conversations here. If I don't like it, Curse you all! If I do like it, Curse you all for adding another stock item to the cabinet. lol lol

rumblefish said:
Same here. I burned through a bottle of Leblon with friends and family over the weekend. I'm working on a bottle of Pitu now, I like Leblon a lot better.

James, tell me more about this Aguardente.

You are moving from a specific to a general. Aguardente refers to any strong adult beverage. :p ;) Literally meaning burning water. :eek: :D
Leave it to the sugar mill workers in Brazil to notice that sugar cane juice cooked and left standing would ferment. :p Distilling it made it a lot more palatable. Imagine the first person to taste it:
"I'll give you five bucks if you drink from that vat."
"Make it eight and you have a deal." :p ;)

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Curse you all I tried the rum and it's way too tasty! Then I made a drink with coke the rum and some cointreau and now I feel my evening is about to get away from me. Once I go to the humidor it's all over. lol :eusa_doh: lol

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Selentino said:
Curse you all I tried the rum and it's way too tasty! Then I made a drink with coke the rum and some cointreau and now I feel my evening is about to get away from me. Once I go to the humidor it's all over. lol :eusa_doh: lol
you're welcome.........:D

AudreyH

Familiar Face
Eh, I'm not really supposed to have rum since I'm only 13 going on 14. lol BUT I managed to get a few sips from my dad when I went on a cruise. I was in Porto Rico at the momment. I don't know what it was. I think it was just plain rum mixed with some fruit punch. At first I thought "Ew, this is terrible", but a few minutes later I thought "You know this isn't that bad once you get a few sips". lol

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
AudreyH said:
Eh, I'm not really supposed to have rum since I'm only 13 going on 14. lol BUT I managed to get a few sips from my dad when I went on a cruise. I was in Porto Rico at the momment. I don't know what it was. I think it was just plain rum mixed with some fruit punch. At first I thought "Ew, this is terrible", but a few minutes later I thought "You know this isn't that bad once you get a few sips". lol

As you get older you'll tend to develop a more "sophisticated" palette. Many things in which I had the impression of tasting horrible while I was younger, whether it be drink or food, somehow found their way into my list of favorites! Gin is like that. Used to hate it and one day it just clicked. Never liked hot foods and now I can't get enough!!! lol I never liked spiced rum before- it was too sweet for me. Capt. Morgan especially. But since Sailor Jerry has been out I really enjoy it as it's a bit dryer. You'll find your likes and dislikes- but I don't advocate it too soon! :rolleyes:

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I just returned from a week in Maui. While on the island I only drank rum drinks. It just seemed natural for the setting. I hadn't had a Pina Colada in many years since they are quite fattening. I really enjoyed them although they are definitely not created equal. The best one I had was at a joint called Cheeseburger in Paradise. In fact, that was one of the best meals I had on the island as well. It had cool 50's decor....but I digress.

I picked up a bottle of Sailor Jerry's for sipping. It has become my favorite rum.

sj.jpg

What are your favorite rum cocktails?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112