Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian Imax movie on Stalingrad

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
That does look interesting. I'm not enamored with the CGI effects that seem to be everywhere, but I suppose that all the action films these days get that same treatment.

p51

One Too Many
A pal of mine saw this movie just the other day. He said it just didn't live up to the hype and that he thought the German movie of the same name was far better.
...and movie theaters gave free tickets to World War II veterans
I loved reading that part!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Out of interest, what were his criticisms of the film?

P.S. Has anyone seen the 1980s Russian film 'Stalingrad' (which starred the director of the new version)?

p51

One Too Many
He told me it was 'a small movie that wanted you to think it was big,' he said that you get no concept of scale, most of the scenes take place in a very small area and it's clear when you watch the movie. He also said the CGI was 'Pearl Harbor-quality unbelievable'.
Lots of criticisms of writing, plot, character development, etc...
This guy is a huge fan of Eastern-european film so I was kinda shocked when he said he hated it.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That's a very interesting response. I did wonder about whether it was the cultural thing about being a Russian film and thus being very different to what a western audience expects. But you've answered that point before i asked it.
That said, i shall be looking out for it.

Looks interesting. I wonder if it will find it's way into theatres in the southern U.S.?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Indyoriginal

New in Town
Honestly, I don't really like most Russian war films. Comparing them to Western war films (at least the recent ones) such as Saving Private Ryan, Thin Red Line, BoB/The Pacific, Russian war movies tend to suffer from the same defects older war films in the West used to - stiff and archaic (meaning following the public's accepted and distorted view of combat/war) plots and characters, too much sappiness, etc., etc. Pearl Harbor is perhaps the perfect example of what a lot of Russian war films feel like.

I'll watch this one, hopefully it will break the mold and depict something closer to reality (I'm not going to hold my breath after seeing the trailer).

Obviously, HBO isn't going to do this (Americans today couldn't be expected to read an entire series in subtitles...GASP!), but I've always thought it could be fantastic to do a BoB/Pacific version of the Eastern front in the war, following both a German soldier/unit and a Soviet soldier/unit. Truly would be epic.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I saw the film last week. i found the whole Imax/3D element a bit overwhelming and, to be honest, unnecessary.

Is it a good film? Yes.
Is it a great film? No.
Am i glad I went to see it? Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have read reviews which complained of historical innacuracies however there was nothing that overconcerned me. Most war films are riddled with the inaccurate and the ludicrous (think of 'Saving Private Ryan' after the initial sequences).

In other reviews there were critcisms of the film's pro-Soviet feel. Does that matter? If I can sit through a film that has plenty of American flag waving, and remain objective about it, I can certainly do the same with a Russian film.

The message would be: go to see it, it's better than most of the reviews make it out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy