Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian Leather KGB Coat

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Hello All,

I have been very busy the last few years (and have a daughter on the way!), but I wanted to share my recent acquisition from eBay. The seller purported that this was a private issue KGB/Air Force officer coat manufactured in the 50s. According to him, they were standard issue in the 40s, but officers could still obtain them and wear them as part of their uniform after that. Here are the pics.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
Leather: My best guess is that it is top grain cowhide, about 3 oz. It is substantial without being heavy, and I believe the hide was a good choice for such a large coat. As I have heard about vintage coats, it is much lighter than my Aero and Vanson. Although it has some damage, it is in much better condition than my grandfather's G-1 from the same era. I applied some of Dr. Jackson's Hide Rejuvenator to it, which made it much more pliable. I learned a lesson, however: a little goes a long way!

Lining: Unknown. It is fully lined (even in the sleeves) with what appears to be a lightweight synthetic material. My best guess is some sort of rayon, as I do not know what other kinds of synthetic materials were available then. It has some pilling.

Size: Maybe a 52-3 (Russian)? (Equivalent to a 42 US/UK.) It is a size too large for me, I believe. I was thinking of selling it, but I like it too much... and I do not think I will easily find a coat like this again...

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Looks great. I'd hold onto it. When you get older, you might fill it out. I wore 42 in my 20s, but now find 44-46 fits me best.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It looks fine on you. I'd just get the sleeves shortened a bit. I went to Stockton College down there, and I was just wondering how the Pinies wiil react to it.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Philalethes said:
Size: Maybe a 52-3 (Russian)? (Equivalent to a 42 US/UK.) It is a size too large for me, I believe. I was thinking of selling it, but I like it too much... and I do not think I will easily find a coat like this again...
Modern size chart but it explains the nomenclature.

Guppy said:
Looks great. I'd hold onto it. When you get older, you might fill it out. I wore 42 in my 20s, but now find 44-46 fits me best.
I agree. It might be slighly big right now but it's not too big to prevent you from wearing it, and it was originally intended to go over several layers (Soviet and Russian outerwear was always worn "big"). Also, you will NEVER find anything like again, this is a once-in-a-lifetime score.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
All you need is a black fedora, some gloves and a female assistant named "Natasha" and you'll be all set. LOL! Seriously, with I could find a maxi-leather coat like that... I'd rock it to death!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran