Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Russian re-enacting.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Wow....very cool...of all the WWII stuff....the Russian stuff interests me the most.

Of course this raises my perpetual question...in the book I have read...the implication is that vast numbers of Soviet soldiers did not acutally wear boots...but rather foot wrap style things.

Admittedly I could have it totally wrong, and the books are back at the library, so I cant easily check what I read.

Anyone else ever read that? or am i just remembering my reading wrong, or nuts..or both?

D....who's house is decorated with WWii Russian propaganda and advertising posters

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Wow....very cool...of all the WWII stuff....the Russian stuff interests me the most.

Of course this raises my perpetual question...in the book I have read...the implication is that vast numbers of Soviet soldiers did not acutally wear boots...but rather foot wrap style things.

Admittedly I could have it totally wrong, and the books are back at the library, so I cant easily check what I read.

Anyone else ever read that? or am i just remembering my reading wrong, or nuts..or both?

D....who's house is decorated with WWii Russian propaganda and advertising posters
Could be true komrade. Supplies were scarce for the red army, especially in the beginning.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Of course this raises my perpetual question...in the book I have read...the implication is that vast numbers of Soviet soldiers did not acutally wear boots...but rather foot wrap style things.Admittedly I could have it totally wrong, and the books are back at the library, so I cant easily check what I read.Anyone else ever read that? or am i just remembering my reading wrong, or nuts..or both?

Perhaps you're thinking of "portyanki", foot wraps that substituted for socks.
http://www.collectrussia.com/images/q/1008.jpg

warbird

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
War is never glorious regardless of political afiliation.

There were millions of Europeans who were freed of nazi occupation who would disagree with you. Along with millions of Chinese and Filipinos.

When benevolent good is victorious over evil it certainly is glorious.The alternative would be to subjugate to horror infinitely.

I agree the sad part of the victory for Russia is that first they were against us and only came to us after Hitler turned on them. Second those poor wretched souls who were then subjugated to another evil when we didn't march to Moscow and end the Russians after the Germans. Now thats an example of inglorious war, loss of one horror, only to gain another and in many ways worse horror.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
warbird said:
There were millions of Europeans who were freed of nazi occupation who would disagree with you. Along with millions of Chinese and Filipinos.

When benevolent good is victorious over evil it certainly is glorious.The alternative would be to subjugate to horror infinitely.

I agree the sad part of the victory for Russia is that first they were against us and only came to us after Hitler turned on them. Second those poor wretched souls who were then subjugated to another evil when we didn't march to Moscow and end the Russians after the Germans. Now thats an example of inglorious war, loss of one horror, only to gain another and in many ways worse horror.

ahh I think my statement was not clear enough....my apologies.

I meant that war, and the mechanics of war....death, destruction, young people being blown to bits...etc...is never glorious. That part of it is just -not-.

I did not mean to imply that the justification and results cannot be glorious.

Sorry if by making a brief statement I did not fully explain what I meant.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Herr Hitman said:
Couldn't have won without em.
True. The Red Army kept about a half to two thirds of Hitler's armies occupied at any given time during the war, and at a terrible cost. 22 million dead, more than all the other combatants combined, if I'm not mistaken.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I believe the Red Army was loved by the other allies - until it began liberating countries in Europe.
At the end it became a race - not so much to defeat the nazis, but to stop the russian advance. Denmak was very, very close to becom a russian state.
I read somewhere that, had it not been for some british parchute troops hurled foreward around L?ºbeck, the Red Army would just have marched up Jutland.

As a matter of fact and maybe not well know - one part of Denmark: The island Bornholm - in the baltic sea, south of Sweden - were bombed and later occupied for two years by the Red Army, just because the Danish government forgot to ask the British army or RAF liberating us, to send just one single officer by plane to Bornholm, in order that the German commandant on the island could surrender. He had made it very clear, that he would only surrender to an officer from the allied forces - and not to the Danish resitance.
But in all the joy and celeberation of peace and liberation on the 4th and 5th of may, Bornholm was forgotten! And the Red Army stayed there for two years.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spitfire said:
I believe the Red Army was loved by the other allies - until it began liberating countries in Europe.
At the end it became a race - not so much to defeat the nazis, but to stop the russian advance. Denmak was very, very close to becom a russian state.
I read somewhere that, had it not been for some british parchute troops hurled foreward around Lübeck, the Red Army would just have marched up Jutland.

As a matter of fact and maybe not well know - one part of Denmark: The island Bornholm - in the baltic sea, south of Sweden - were bombed and later occupied for two years by the Red Army, just because the Danish government forgot to ask the British army or RAF liberating us, to send just one single officer by plane to Bornholm, in order that the German commandant on the island could surrender. He had made it very clear, that he would only surrender to an officer from the allied forces - and not to the Danish resitance.
But in all the joy and celeberation of peace and liberation on the 4th and 5th of may, Bornholm was forgotten! And the Red Army stayed there for two years.

Interesting! I have always agreed with Patton, we fight them now, or we fight them later. President Putin case in point. Not looking good for the future.

dean

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The Russians have always been somewhat paranoid as a nation, due to the fact that they have had to repel foreign invaders so many times throughout their history. I think this is what gives them their overall hostile attitude, they have been a nation run by fear for most of their history it seems.

birddog

New in Town
For an excellent account of the average Russian soldier, read the recent book "Ivan's War". It's available in paperback at Borders, etc.. The author gives a good account of equipment issued, training (if any!), equipment, etc. It's an excellent & easy read on any account.

Ugarte

Story

I'll Lock Up
Russia probes World War Two buffs for extremism

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/16/AR2008041600603.html

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian prosecutors are investigating a group of military history enthusiasts for extremism because they staged a World War Two re-enactment featuring a tank with German army insignia.

Prosecutors say a replica Panzer 38(t) tank, which took part in a mock battle in central Siberia with a World War Two-era black and white cross stenciled on its side, was in breach of a law outlawing Nazi symbols.

The enthusiasts who staged the event say the allegations are absurd and accuse prosecutors of failing to understand the point of a historical re-enactment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats