Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

S. H. Knopf Mfg. Co.

Mainly thanks to Dinerman, there are various thread or blog posts dedicated to the great leather companies of the 30s-50s. As yet, I don't know of one for S. H. Knopf Mfg. Co. of Boston, MA. I don't know much about this company, and I haven't seen many of their jackets. But, behind Blatt of Chicago, they have the best company name of the Golden Era so deserve a thread.

So, I'll start this off with a few ads gleaned from Dinerman's blog (1941) and a 1939 Time ad posted by Joel Shapiro in another thread. Click the first one for bigger image.

KnopfAd-Life1941.jpg

LIFE-GoogleBooks-1954112Stitch.jpg

And below the first jacket for this thread, a jacket that is probably based on Knopf's "Aviator" style noted in the 1941 ad, but with a different back treatment. This is similar in style to a Buco, most like a J82 than any other. The trimmings (quilted liner) and furniture (transitional 40s/50s Talon main zipper and Conmar sleeve and ring/chain slash pocket zippers) date this jacket to the early 1950s. It's well worn but in excellent condition and now that I restitched the arm seams which had all come apart through rotted thread, it is wearable. I imagine a lot of similar fixes will need done in the future as the rest of the thread collapses. Spotwork is original to the jacket and went on before the liner (only one spot missing). The FQ steerhide is thick and supple but not restrictive with no wear spots or thin areas and nice patina. The jacket has the original owner's name (Norman something) and address (somewhere in New York) but sadly no date. Click links for bigger images.

KnopfPerfecto1.jpg KnopfPerfecto2.jpg KnopfPerfecto3.jpg KnopfPerfecto4.jpg KnopfPerfecto5.jpg KnopfPerfecto6.jpg KnopfPerfecto7.jpg KnopfPerfecto8.jpg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A few factory addresses over the years. Can't find much on the company after the early 1950s. Out of business by the mid 1950s, maybe?
They were already well established by WWI, but I'm having trouble tracking down a whole lot of info.

1921 - 85 Essex St., Boston, MA
1940 - 470 Atlantic Ave., Boston, MA
1953- 665 Atlantic Ave., Boston, MA

turkle

New in Town
I don't know if I got the pictures up this is my first time on a thread. But if they did I hope they will help.I have a jacket that I was looking in to with little to no luck. . . A Knopf. I was hoping someone can tell me more about it. It has sheepskin collar, with coarse wool lining(Horse?) Talon zipper all in great condition.The only flaw i see is the cotton waistband lost its elasticity.the cuffs seem to be holding it together. And someone wrote 15.00 on the tag. It is a really cool and well made/ trooper for how good condition it is in. If the pictures did not make it please help me figure it out. thanks.
1226.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]
1225.jpg

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Looking forward to Headwind's No-Name (S.H. Knopf) 42-18236-P A-2 repro. I had one of John's (GW) way back. Had an unusual offset collar, easy fit. Was a great jacket.

dannyk

One Too Many
So happy to be here. I have loved collecting vintage clothing and history my entire life and look forward to exploring & sharing.
Some very knowledgeable people around here. Lots of good threads to explore as well. I highly recommend that if theirs other specific brands, articles of clothing, etc... youre interested in just doing a quick search and finding them. When I first started out here, I got lost for days and days reading about all the different things I was interested in.

Peacoat

Bartender
So happy to be here. I have loved collecting vintage clothing and history my entire life and look forward to exploring & sharing.
Then you will love the forums dedicated to vintage. @LizzieMaine is one of the bartenders here. She knows more about the Golden Era than most people know about the modern era.

The Fedora Lounge is a big place with lots of knowledge on many different subjects. Below I have posted the link to the main forum page that lists all of the forums. It will take several days to explore all of them and become acclimated. Once you do, it will be easier to navigate this joint.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/forums/

Glad you decided to join us,
PC

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Kind of hard to deny. But the grain on that jacket looks pretty good. LOL

as I was pondering I thought about that light weight Windward. How many jackets were actually made for warmer climates. The history of Cape and Goat, Sheep goes way back even in the "modern" era 1930 on but I got derailed when I I had a jacket in mind for you, size 46, unique style, Deerskin, then I had another thought for you; a 50s/60s sheepskin full rockabilly in classic White. Perfect for those cooler evenings on the beach, while the Steel guitars are playing. I will work on preparing these. You will not be able to resist the White one, it is full you.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
as I was pondering I thought about that light weight Windward. How many jackets were actually made for warmer climates. The history of Cape and Goat, Sheep goes way back even in the "modern" era 1930 on but I got derailed when I I had a jacket in mind for you, size 46, unique style, Deerskin, then I had another thought for you; a 50s/60s sheepskin full rockabilly in classic White. Perfect for those cooler evenings on the beach, while the Steel guitars are playing. I will work on preparing these. You will not be able to resist the White one, it is full you.
Cool dude!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff