Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sabrina Hat

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If you want a smooth hat it shouldn't be too hard. You can get a styrafoam head at most beauty supply shops, then use tin foil to build up the head to similar measurements to yours. Cover it in plastic wrap. Get your hat blank nice and wet before you try molding it. After it's dry and molded you'll starch it with a spray bottle and a mixture of stiffener.
I've gotten millinery supplies here:
http://www.judithm.com/
In all honesty it's probably going to be less expensive to just get a vintage one. Hatmaking can be quite expensive... and addictive ;) And a lot is done by trial and error, so be prepared for your first hat to come out not exactly as pictured in your head lol
I haven't done a lot with felt- only really buckram and straw- but my husband is getting pretty darn good at blocking his own hats and they come out really well- he even fooled a few loungers with his hats, thinking they were professional or vintage ;)

the Milliner

New in Town
Audreys Hats

I am not surprised to hear that it is 3 different hats. She obviously liked the calot, which often has an open crown.

If you have a woven beret, you can cut it and sew yourself this hat. Here is a vintage pattern you can use.
http://vintagesewing.info/1950s/52-hmh/hmh-121.html

The hat that you originally posted is most likely blocked from felt. If it was Givenchy, then it is (probably) not wool felt but fur felt, much higher quality and in my opinion, the only thing worth making a hat out of. Mens felts are generally heavier and harder to block.

You can surely block your own (try not to wet it though, spray the inside with water and put it in a plastic bag to soften for a few hours.) Then steam it to soften and block it. I only wet block when I am draping something, not blocking and usually not even then. You can usually reblock any felt hat you have already, provided there is enough felt to work with after you strip it (remove the trim and headsize ribbon inside). I also do not use starch to stiffen but a spray sizing, but I am sure starch is fine if others have been using it with success.

There is of course much more to it than that. It needs proper finishing for the edges and all hats need to have a headsize ribbon in them.

If you want to make yourself this hat, PLEASE contact me. I'd be happy to help you in any way I can (gratis of course!) It would be fun to do "remotely" and I'd be glad to walk you through it if you need that.

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
WELL?????Did you buy that one off Etsy?just curious!I know how I am when I have "this outfit" that "that hat would be perfect for!I could so see myself wearing that whole ensemble!" so........Did you buy it for yourself for Christmas!??
good for you "the millner" I'm glad your going to help her!:eusa_clap ;)

MERRY MERRY folks! & HAPPY HAPPY!:p

See ya in the funny papers!lol
1*Cool*Kitten

bettylovekitten

New in Town
I haven't purchased the hat at etsy. I'm unsure if I should wait or try to attempt it myself with help of course. I'm just worried I'll mess up the hat if I actually try to do it lol.... so still thinking...and also hoping to go into the city now that I should have some time off and look around at some vintage stores or even just look for some hats. Until I decide what to do...I'm sorry I haven't yet. :) But at least now that its after christmas I can go search some stores :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch