Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad news for Toronto

Alon

One of the Regulars
Mr. Rotman of Rotman's Haberdashery had an accident and, already frail at well over 80 years of age, will probably not reopen his store. Rotman's Haberdashery has established by the elder Mr. Rotman in 1939 and was something of a cultural institution back in the day, when celebrities were regular customers.

n28117681_40670655_1084.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Alon said:
Mr. Rotman of Rotman's Haberdashery had an accident and, already frail at well over 80 years of age, will probably not reopen his store. Rotman's Haberdashery has established by the elder Mr. Rotman in 1939 and was something of a cultural institution back in the day, when celebrities were regular customers.

n28117681_40670655_1084.jpg

Alon, This is sad news indeed. I've made more than a few trips to Toronto over the years and not had an opportunity to visit Rotman's. Do you know if there are any plans for dealing with the current inventory in the store? However, it's early days yet.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Alon said:

I was wondering why I hadn't seen him lately in the door of the store when I've been in the neighbourhood. Sad to hear this news.

There's a great book I have on the history of Toronto's Spadina Avenue, written by Rosemary Donegan in 1985. On page 133 It features a picture of a "Mr. Rotman" on a ladder in the "Rotman's Men's Wear" store at 350 Spadina Ave. Don't know if this is the same guy, he's probably changed a lot since 1985. That family has had some form of business near there since the 1920s.

You might find a copy in a used book shop, here's the publisher's details:
Spadina Avenue
Douglas & McIntyre Publishing Group
Pub. Date: January 1985
ISBN-13: 9780888944726
192pp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot