Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad to be alone in my appreciation of another era

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Many people can appreciate my living in a time capsule house, my old school interests, way of life. But I don't have anyone near me who lives it. I have friends, and liking vintage this or that isn't a requisite to being a good friend. I like differences. But I do get lonely sometimes because I get tired of explaining things, or being a novelty. Sure, there are message boards and I have "vintage" friends online I can chat with and that's great! But again, I wish there were more people I know in my "real" life who shared similar values and interests in the arena.

Do you ever feel isolated and sad because of it?

Lizzie is not too far from me, but not near enough to pick up the phone and say hey, can you meet me for coffee later?

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Well young lady I don't know what to tell you but isn't this why you folks down south have these meet and greets so you can get together and compare your vintage items or lifestyles and make new friends with similar interests?As far as friends go if you really look at it most folks only have maybe a handful of what you would call close friends anyway,unless that's just me.Yes we may have a lot of acquaintances but true friends are usually few and far between and I'm sure you realize they don't all share the same interest that you do.Sorry tohear you're sad and upset but I'm sure that you'll find some folks with your interests if you keep searching,good luck.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I often find myself feeling like one of the last survivors of a lost world, even around the Lounge sometimes. But que sera sera, as the song goes. That's what we are, and we have to make the best of it. I get some pleasure out of introducing aspects of the Era to kids -- we have the music of the Era playing on the sound system at work before shows, and I get to introduce the performers to a generation who has no idea who any of them are, and I've had a chance to introduce a couple of the concession kids to some of my favorite authors of the Era, or explain other aspects of the period they don't understand. I'm also working on a program to introduce radio acting to the local school drama club, which could plant more seeds for appreciation of the period among people who have no idea anything existed before 1990.

Where appreciation doesn't exist, it's up to us to create it. Maybe a program of house-to-house evangelism is in order. "Hello, do you ever feel like you're being sucked into oblivion by the tar pit of modern life?"

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I often find myself feeling like one of the last survivors of a lost world, even around the Lounge sometimes. But que sera sera, as the song goes. That's what we are, and we have to make the best of it. I get some pleasure out of introducing aspects of the Era to kids -- we have the music of the Era playing on the sound system at work before shows, and I get to introduce the performers to a generation who has no idea who any of them are, and I've had a chance to introduce a couple of the concession kids to some of my favorite authors of the Era, or explain other aspects of the period they don't understand. I'm also working on a program to introduce radio acting to the local school drama club, which could plant more seeds for appreciation of the period among people who have no idea anything existed before 1990.

Where appreciation doesn't exist, it's up to us to create it. Maybe a program of house-to-house evangelism is in order. "Hello, do you ever feel like you're being sucked into oblivion by the tar pit of modern life?"

I love the house-to-house evangelism idea! :p

Making the best of it is hard sometimes. I recently had the experience of meeting someone who I thought "got it." I was thrilled! It didn't take long for me to see that it was more of a schtick and act, very hollow. It left me feeling lonely and duped.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Well young lady I don't know what to tell you but isn't this why you folks down south have these meet and greets so you can get together and compare your vintage items or lifestyles and make new friends with similar interests?As far as friends go if you really look at it most folks only have maybe a handful of what you would call close friends anyway,unless that's just me.Yes we may have a lot of acquaintances but true friends are usually few and far between and I'm sure you realize they don't all share the same interest that you do.Sorry tohear you're sad and upset but I'm sure that you'll find some folks with your interests if you keep searching,good luck.

Thank you. The only things like that around me are theme parties, really.

Yes, close friends needn't share all of my interests.

I'm just a fish out of water, to use a tired cliche.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are not alone in feeling alone. Trust me --no one in my day to day life understands or appreciates my likes or interests, not to mention my outward appearance. While I'm happy to be unique and certainly not part of any local scene, it does get lonely feeling so isolated.
The Fedora Lounge is here at least to bring us all "together"!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I love the house-to-house evangelism idea! :p

phonodemo.jpg

"After the householder opens the door, play an Artie Shaw record on your phonograph to capture their attention. Then offer the Fedora Lounge Manifesto for a contribution of 25 cents toward the worldwide outreach!"

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Though I don't live vintage - but rather have a deep and abiding interest in it and in other historical time periods - I've always been a fish out of water, and everyone pretty much knows it. I get a kick out of my friends sending me articles on WW2 or something from the 1940s or Snoopy (since I also am a huge Snoopy fan). When I was in high school, I stayed home from activities like basketball and football games to write my novels. Everyone knew I was a writer, too. I've always blithely gone my own way and I'm pretty comfortable with it. My best friend is pretty much the same way, but she lives three hours away from me, so like you, I can't just call her up and have her come meet me for coffee.

The fact that I'm an introvert makes it a lot easier, and the fact that I can meet other like-minded individuals on the Internet also helps. I guess I really don't mind being the odd girl out with my interests, but that's because I've been that way for so long that maybe I don't even notice anymore.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I hear ya, sister. I'm often asked why I have to "be so weird" and why I "can't be like everyone else". After a string of profanities and glaring stares, I calm down and find comfort in knowing I am who I am. (I yam what I yam? Seriously? A Popeye reference?) I have very very few friends around here and even they tend to mock me lightly about my lifestyle.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I hear ya, sister. I'm often asked why I have to "be so weird" and why I "can't be like everyone else". After a string of profanities and glaring stares, I calm down and find comfort in knowing I am who I am. (I yam what I yam? Seriously? A Popeye reference?) I have very very few friends around here and even they tend to mock me lightly about my lifestyle.

The nice thing about being a little weird or strange is at least people leave you alone that way.(haha)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It's not so much the stuff of vintage, like clothing, hats, home furnishings, etc. but more about the attitudes and values of the past with me. It seems like most everyone around me embraces the new "Political Correctness", anything goes BS that has been handed to people over the past 30 years or so. I simply can not compromise my ideals just to fit in or gain favor with "important" people or popular "culture".
It gets lonely at times, but I tend not to notice as I stay busy with my art, out of step with the times as it is.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
It's not so much the stuff of vintage, like clothing, hats, home furnishings, etc. but more about the attitudes and values of the past with me. It seems like most everyone around me embraces the new "Political Correctness", anything goes BS that has been handed to people over the past 30 years or so. I simply can not compromise my ideals just to fit in or gain favor with "important" people or popular "culture".
It gets lonely at times, but I tend not to notice as I stay busy with my art, out of step with the times as it is.

Me, too, and it's another benefit of being an introvert. :)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

This is me exactly. Other than my vintage house, I wear jeans and look "regular." It's the attitudes and culture. The crassness and rudeness. The Sloppiness. The Thought Police. And so on.

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
Perhaps you feel alone because you are looking for the wrong peer group.

When I was younger I found that it was to socialize with folks who were older than myself. When I met people closer to my own age they were a little more understanding of my anachronistic ways if I met them through their older family members because they could put it into context better by comparing it to stories that their parents and grandparents had told them.

As time has gone by I am around people closer to my own age all the time.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
If I may say so, your troubles do not sound so bad.

Ah come now we all have those days when you're down in the dumps and feeling a little depressed,but the sun will rise tomorrow and it'll be a new day.It never hurts to vent once in a while and just to know that there are people out there listening seems to help out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran