Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sad to be alone in my appreciation of another era

m0nk

One Too Many
My take on it all is this: we are who we are. Friends, real friends, understand that and are accepting. I go on each day doing what I do, and unfortunately I don't have anyone near me that has some of the same appreciation of things lost, but I still have other common ground for the friendships that I do have. I would love to have theme parties, but there just aren't enough people with these interests around me.

I also might seem like the oddball because I wear a fedora everywhere I go, or dress more traditional than some of my coworkers who prefer modern khakis and jeans, but that's just how I prefer to view the world... and we have to be the change we wish to see in others. Most people these days are rude and dress like slobs (I mean those regular sweatpants and PJ wearers), but it's continued on because it's rare for someone to act any other way.

Maybe someday, more others will suddenly like your style, or the things you find with vintage flair, and the theme parties will turn into just a regular gathering of friends. You never know...

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
My take on it all is this: we are who we are. Friends, real friends, understand that and are accepting. I go on each day doing what I do, and unfortunately I don't have anyone near me that has some of the same appreciation of things lost, but I still have other common ground for the friendships that I do have. I would love to have theme parties, but there just aren't enough people with these interests around me.

I also might seem like the oddball because I wear a fedora everywhere I go, or dress more traditional than some of my coworkers who prefer modern khakis and jeans, but that's just how I prefer to view the world... and we have to be the change we wish to see in others. Most people these days are rude and dress like slobs (I mean those regular sweatpants and PJ wearers), but it's continued on because it's rare for someone to act any other way.

Maybe someday, more others will suddenly like your style, or the things you find with vintage flair, and the theme parties will turn into just a regular gathering of friends. You never know...

Oh come now that baggy jeans hanging off your ass showing your Calvin Klein underwear look,how can't you like that.Just hope it doesn't become the new age business wear.(haha)

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
I didn't imagine that someone would try to hijack my thread into more-disturbed-than-thou. This is the exact kind of thing that is what's wrong with "today." No manners. Snide remarks. Trolling.

Yes, of course people were also rude back then. But not as a normal practice like 2012.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I didn't imagine that someone would try to hijack my thread into more-disturbed-than-thou. This is the exact kind of thing that is what's wrong with "today." No manners. Snide remarks. Trolling.

Yes, of course people were also rude back then. But not as a normal practice like 2012.

Well young lady it's your thread and I think all but -1 are here for you so keep on keepin on.Ah but then I might just be one of those over polite Canadians I hear about.(haha)

Last edited:

Heather

Practically Family
Many people can appreciate my living in a time capsule house, my old school interests, way of life. But I don't have anyone near me who lives it. I have friends, and liking vintage this or that isn't a requisite to being a good friend. I like differences. But I do get lonely sometimes because I get tired of explaining things, or being a novelty. Sure, there are message boards and I have "vintage" friends online I can chat with and that's great! But again, I wish there were more people I know in my "real" life who shared similar values and interests in the arena.

Do you ever feel isolated and sad because of it?

Lizzie is not too far from me, but not near enough to pick up the phone and say hey, can you meet me for coffee later?

I believe you and I are close enough to meet for coffee. Just sayin'... ;)

m0nk

One Too Many

Not sure if I missed a post, but I hope you didn't think I was trying to do this. I was shooting for a "soldier on, we're with ya" sorta thing.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think that if you have a few good friends, you're lucky, and that's how I try to think about such things. However, I totally get that it's lonely if your friends don't share one of your major interests, whatever they may be, and even harder when none of your friends share your major interest. I totally understand that- I have very few friends who share my interests (to be perfectly honest) even though they are great people. It puts me into the position of "educator" a lot more than I would like. It would be nice to know other ladies to can with or sew with or shop with, but I settle for the fact that I'm unique. ;) I, for instance, only have one friend who cans and she lives 500 miles from me. I only have two friends who are crafty- both of whom live hours away. Nobody I know personally is into vintage or vintage lifestyle or vintage anything. I take what I can get and I'm happy to know that these non-vintage people accept me and my quirks.

I am lucky to have a husband who is interested in vintage, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like some good vintage enthusiast girl friends.

Last edited:

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Until this past August, I always had trouble fitting in. I mean, I like most of my neighbours, but some of them I just don't click with. There are always awkward silences because we intimidate each other. I think they might not know what so talk to me about because my interests are so specialized. I don't want them to be this way, but I seem to have that effect on people and I hate it!

In August I went to a "rockabilly" bar that was 10 minutes from my house and I now have a great group of friends that I really should have known all along. The band leader Drew Nugent from Philadelphia is part of this crowd and I can sit there and talk to him about 20s and 30s music for long stretches of time. No awkward silences. And he KNOWS what I'm talking about...even if it's the most obscure thing I can think of! Then we sing it. I don't think I've ever held such a conversation with a live person before lol

I never knew such a group existed in Philadelphia. They welcomed me and my husband with open arms -- even asking us why it took this long for all of us to meet! There's never a dull, quiet, or awkward moment with these people. They range in age from late 20s to early 40s. They range from the greaser-est rockabilly car-club guys to the 1930s-style dandies. I'm somewhere in the middle. My life has been changed because of them and I don't feel so lonely anymore.

I know what it is like to be all alone in your interests/lifestyle and having other people be intimidated by it or not into it (no outlet of conversation). Maybe take a chance with something if there is something remotely vintage near you?

Last edited:

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've been into things vintage since college (the late 70s-early '80s). On the day before finals week in my senior year, I threw a huge "last party of the semester" blowout and invited everyone in my department (theatre-dance). The place was packed and while we played plenty of then-contemporary music, I also threw on some Glenn Miller for a while. Everyone loved it.

My point being, you may be able to win over some converts if you encourage them. Throw a vintage party (and be patient with their initially weak attempts to pull off the look) with great vintage music or even throw a regular party and sneak in some swing music (or the music you prefer). I'll bet you'd find people are open to such new-old experiences.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I don't need the outer world in order to appreciate bygone times.. .... not in these ipads, cellphones, texting, stupid strange times, no way..

My books... paper books ...my documentaries and my mind.

that's all I need to be back there again.... a fertile imagination that's all I need

Forget the outer world.... the past for them doesn't mean a thing

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
Ah come now we all have those days when you're down in the dumps and feeling a little depressed,but the sun will rise tomorrow and it'll be a new day....

My point entirely. There are some people who wake up with far worse things to worry about than whether they are living in the wrong era. Sorry if my posting came over like a slap in the face with a cold fish though.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
slap with cold fish? Don't think so... nope

Thing is ... some here in this forum me included have the past very close to their hearts, it permeates everything, everyday, every time, the past is the present. In my case, I know, it is.

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
slap with cold fish? Don't think so... nope

Thing is ... some here in this forum me included have the past very close to their hearts, it permeates everything, everyday, every time, the past is the present. In my case, I know, it is.

I had gathered that might be so - the OP just seemed to me a slight case of ... no I won't say it, I've already been accused of trolling so I'll leave this to the navel-gazers.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I had gathered that might be so - the OP just seemed to me a slight case of ... no I won't say it, I've already been accused of trolling so I'll leave this to the navel-gazers.

Just a quick question I've only been here for a short while so I'm not up on all the lingo what is a "Navel Gazer"
and what does "Trolling"mean?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
My point entirely. There are some people who wake up with far worse things to worry about than whether they are living in the wrong era. Sorry if my posting came over like a slap in the face with a cold fish though.

You don't know what else I wake up with daily to deal with, and my "worry" is loneliness and isolation in relation to my values. You post came across like that of someone who lacks basic social skills. But I raise the bar pretty high, so it could be me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran