Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle shoes

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Okay, okay, okay! Going for the plunge with the Muffy's soap and water (brown and cream). Any last words o' wisdom?

Be patient with the breaking-in process. They're going to seem like the stiffest, hardest shoes you've ever worn when you take them out of the box, so it might be a good idea to wear them everywhere for a week or two. After that, though, they'll feel like they're custom made.

Also, at least on mine, the tongues are not stitched especially well -- mine actually came off after I only had them for a few weeks. But a dot of superglue reattached them, and I've had no trouble since.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just bought a pair, as in came in the mail yesterday and tied them on and boy do they hurt. I emailed them my shoe size and they sent this pair so Im trusting after the braking in duration they will be alight.
The rubber that is top stitched bad on the joining part on the inside. Im thinking that will come loose sooner than normal. Should I ask for a replacement on that?

P1010003.jpg

P1010008-1.jpg

LD

SheBear74

Practically Family
Since mine where a present I didn't get to try them on till this morning. They fit great except that my heel felt like it was slipping which was disappointing till it dawned on me to pull the insert out. They fit perfect now, just need to find a thinner insert for them. I wear converse so I am not to worried about them not having much support. I have to say I loooooooove the look! I am so happy I finally have a pair. :D

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Thanks, gals! It's good to know that ahead of time as I'd get nervous that I made the wrong purchase before the break-in process.

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...I sent out my order to Muffy's (by snail mail, granted...I really am that old fashioned) on January 3 and still haven't received anything. Anyone else having any issues? I've sent off an email to inquire about the order and haven't heard anything. I have no doubt about the great reputation of the company...just want to make sure everything's as it should be. It was a money order so there shouldn't be any question of clearing checks.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
4511429819_4685a2e9d9.jpg

Excelsior High School in Norwalk, California, cheerleaders of the mid 1950's were all decked-out with letter sweaters, saddle shoes and below the knee skirts.

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I have a few pairs of saddles now but I'm always looking for the right socks to wear with them. What have you ladies chosen as your favorite?I've been buying pairs of $1 ones from walmart but they tend to look like thin gym socks folded over. I'd like something with scallops or really subtle lace.. nothing obnoxious... Have you seen any?

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
I get my Bobby socks in the kids department at Target or Walmart, fold over once style and they have ruffled ones. First socks I am not having bunch up in my shoes. I got my sadle shoes at Bass and I absolutely love them!

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
LinaSofia, your post urged me to go browsing around the internet too. I used to have a pair of Payless saddle shoes in the 80s that I loved. My friends thought I was weird; my mother thought I was insane for wanting them in the first place (she wore them when she was in high school), but she bought them anyway.

There seems to be a big price gap. I wonder if the quality drops between the two as well. Anyone have experience with Doc Marten's?

1409919-p-DETAILED.jpg

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
hmm look at those Docs! didn't know they did a saddle shoe either. They are super comfy, but I'm just not sure if the unmistakable doc Marten-sole puts me off... can't decide!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
OOh i love those Doc ones, they would be great for me running around the cobbled streets as i tend to do on a daily basis! They are always really comfy too, i love my docs!

I still think Rocket Originals do great saddles and they chuck in a free pair of bobby socks, they are pretty authentic and are such lovely people to deal with.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
They have Docs with a brick sole too.

13828112.png

I have a pair of standard Doc boots that I really like - they are very comfortable and had virtually no breaking in period for me. Wondering if the oxford type would be the same. I am wishing I were back in the UK right now - there was an irregulars store for Doc Martens that was SOOOO much cheaper than anything I can find online.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner