Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Saddle shoes

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Laughing Magpie said:
I've been haunting the local Payless - they do have bricks & mortar stores here, but no on-line shopping - and I've never seen saddle-shoes there.

I don't think any of the Payless stores actually have them in the shop; I ordered mine at the store. You might want to ask your local shop if they'd be able to order them in-store.

Voodoo Kitten

Familiar Face
I found the Payless saddle shoes in the store, but I think it was a fluke. Or maybe somebody ordered them online and returned them to the store? I don't go to Payless often though.......

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
That was a great idea, Lusti Weather, so I tried - they don't have them available in Canada at all (and he complained a little about how the internet has exposed us Canadians to the US Payless selections!).

Crumb - this is why I can't have nice things! It's a shoe desert up here! :)

I might have to lean on my sister in the US to get me a pair...

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
Ordered from Muffy's

I'm new to FedoraLounge. I hope this thread isn't totally dead because it was SO helpful when I was hemming and hawing over whether to buy saddles from Muffy's! I snagged their last pair of coffee-and-cream women's saddles in 9.5 last week, and I had to take a wide because that's all they had left. I usually wear a 10 so I'm hoping it works out.. Muffy seemed to think so (I talked to her over the phone!). The shoes run a half-size long anyway.

I went with the coffee and cream combo because I think it will go with more of my clothes. I was also too chicken to go with the bright white/black combo.

I agree that their email correspondence leaves a lot to be desired. They never replied to anything I sent, even a legitimate question about the order I placed. But their selection is incredible, so I won't discount them entirely until Muffy shows up on my doorstep and slaps me across the face.

I'll post a picture when I get them! I can't even contain my anticipation.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
HomesteadHattie said:
I'm new to FedoraLounge. I hope this thread isn't totally dead because it was SO helpful when I was hemming and hawing over whether to buy saddles from Muffy's! I snagged their last pair of coffee-and-cream women's saddles in 9.5 last week, and I had to take a wide because that's all they had left. I usually wear a 10 so I'm hoping it works out.. Muffy seemed to think so (I talked to her over the phone!). The shoes run a half-size long anyway.

You'll be fine. My Muffys are a 9 1/2 C, and I normally wear a 10, and after being thoroughly broken in they're perfectly comfy.

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
Check 'em out! Just arrived from Muffy's on Friday! Boy, are they stiff.. but I've already got creases in them, so all will be good eventually. I LOVE how they look!!
4742107600_de40389a51_m.jpg

HomesteadHattie

New in Town
I know someone posted a pic earlier in the thread of saddles-with-a-suit, and it reminded me of this picture I found. It's someone's grandmother on her honeymoon, if I remember the caption correctly. It's such a strange combination to my modern eyes, but I like it.

4748532171_2fd99f0c3c_m.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Just a bit of warning: the reviews of the Bass saddle shoe on zappos.com have not been favorable. Several posters mentioned that the sole splits within a few months of purchasing them.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
For me, the Bass shoes were just plain uncomfortable. I have wide feet, so to fit my width I had to buy 1/2 size larger. That meant that the built in arch support hit my foot in the wrong place. :( Ouchies.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Were saddle shoes an exclusively American thing? I don't think I have seen any pictures of British or Australian women wearing them (and yeah, I know the USA, UK and Australia aren't the whole world, but for illustrative purposes!)

MissHannah

One Too Many
Puzzicato said:
Were saddle shoes an exclusively American thing? I don't think I have seen any pictures of British or Australian women wearing them (and yeah, I know the USA, UK and Australia aren't the whole world, but for illustrative purposes!)

I think they must have been predominantly American as I don't remember ever seeing any British photos of girls wearing them and vintage pairs are hard as hell to find over here.

Crafty Doll

Familiar Face
Payless

To the ladies who own the Payless saddle shoes:

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being painful and 5 being extremely comfortable), how would you rate these shoes?

I've been debating ordering a pair because although I do own a few pairs of really cute Payless wedges, they hurt my feet so much, even only after wearing them for a short amount of time. I do have wide feet, so maybe that makes a difference.

I'd love to get a pair from Muffy's when my budget allows. But for now, I'll have to go the cheaper route if I want some saddle shoes! I just don't want to waste my money if they are going to be uncomfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy