Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

Renault

One Too Many
Got it. It's in pretty decent shape. Only real issue is some guy put his name and phone number on the thing with an electric pencil. Did come with a pachmayr scope and flip down mount so you can use the iron sites without completely removing it.

WOO5qQl.jpg

Good catch Justin! Good for you!!!!!

R

Justin B

One Too Many
Thanks Renault. Got a good price on it too, about $200 less than any I'd found on GB. Now on to the hunt for something in .375 H&H.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Jorg says that GB 30'06 has been restocked and probably rebored and rechambered. That model was never made in 30'06 and at the time it would never have been made without a cheekpiece. The maker was a cousin of his grandfather or great-grandfather. It's still lovely . . .

Story

I'll Lock Up
Jorg says that GB 30'06 has been restocked and probably rebored and rechambered. That model was never made in 30'06 and at the time it would never have been made without a cheekpiece. The maker was a cousin of his grandfather or great-grandfather. It's still lovely . . .

I'd expect a new-made Mauser 98 sporter to top $1,300.

Story

I'll Lock Up

While the stock looks distinctly Haenel-ish, I was under the impression that Schilling peddled export .30-06s before the crash. See page 2 of this publication for the writeup on the rifle featured on the cover.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri56partial.pdf

FWIW, Oberndorf was selling .30-06s in the US before WWI.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/MA...IG-PRE-WWI-EXC-BORE-1912.cfm?gun_id=100334924

Last edited:

Doublegun

Practically Family
Got it. It's in pretty decent shape. Only real issue is some guy put his name and phone number on the thing with an electric pencil. Did come with a pachmayr scope and flip down mount so you can use the iron sites without completely removing it.

WOO5qQl.jpg

My 30-06 pre-64 70 is a great shooter. Feels good in hand, handles well, and shoots better than I can. I have a Leupold M8 4x mounted and I think it's the perfect amount of glass for a classic 06. I would really like to shoot it with the iron sights but the stock and sights really aren't set-up very well.

Nice rifle. Enjoy. Only problem with a classic '06 is justifying buying another rifle. (although it really hasn't slowed me down)

Justin B

One Too Many
I was wrong about the date of manufacture, it's a '48 not a '53. Here's another shot of it and my Pattern 1914 Enfield. The Enfield is chambered in .303 and has been sporterized at some point in it's like. It's a springfield built gun, but shoots nice, or will once I get some decent glass back on it.

Both
8SOI29a.jpg

Enfield action
jj50Odo.jpg

Winchester with the scope flipped to the side
vs8lj3z.jpg

Looking down the iron sites
W8grIvB.jpg

Oldsarge

One Too Many
While the stock looks distinctly Haenel-ish, I was under the impression that Schilling peddled export .30-06s before the crash. See page 2 of this publication for the writeup on the rifle featured on the cover.
http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/ri56partial.pdf

FWIW, Oberndorf was selling .30-06s in the US before WWI.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/MA...IG-PRE-WWI-EXC-BORE-1912.cfm?gun_id=100334924

Indeed they may have, but not in that model. And I'm not sure just how many Schillings there were in the gun business post WWI. I'll ask when I see him in Portland. 'Chris' may have been another relative.

L. C. Lawrence

New in Town
Nice firearms. I would really like a double... .470 NE would be perfect I think. I notice the pistol... couldn't take side arms into South Africa unless you were hunting with it. Guns had to match letters of invitation from PH for game you will be hunting. Not sure for other African countries, I only ever took my .375 H&H.

gto364cid

New in Town
If anyone is interested I think we still have an Alex Henry single shot rifle in .303 (mk I or II ctg??) down in the bosses office, for sale. Nice with ok to better bore. I can't afford it. LOL!

Again Chasseur, very nice piece you have there!

Renault, if the rifle is still available, please let me know. Looks very interesting.

jkingrph

Practically Family
I have a few that would fit this category. My favorite is a Husqvarna 46 in 9.3x57 ok for med to larger game at close to moderate ranges. It is a 1929 vintage rifle in the classic English or European styling and fits me like a glove. It sports a 26"barrel with a single leaf express type sight. and is built on the classic Swedish 96 Mauser action. Next is a CZ 550 Safari American in 375H&H. I chose it over a 458 Lott and a 416 Rigby in a sale at Gander Mountain a few years back, more for cost of ammo as I probably will never go on safari and need a dangerous game gun, plus the wood was a good flame walnut compared to some very plain lumber on the others. It's turned out to be one of my favorite shooters, fitting well, plus the bulkiness andweight make recoil a lot less than my old pre 64 Win mod 70 30-06.. Another nice one is a little Ruger 1a in 7.5x57.

Last edited:

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Those Husqvarner 46's are wonderful little rifles. I had one in 9.3x57 that I had rechambered to 9.3x62 and it was a pocket rocket. It handled like a fine shotgun and the larger cartridge is a famous killer. Unfortunately, I already had a half safe full of safari rifles and an old friend from grade school wanted an elk rifle so I sold it to him . . . much to my later regret. He died before he ever got to use it and I haven't been able to find another like it. Renault, if one shows up in your shop will you give me a shout? You'll know the one I want. It's the one with the rounded, laid back pistol grip. I would have that thing rechambered and run off to Europe with it sooooo fast!

jkingrph

Practically Family
Those Husqvarner 46's are wonderful little rifles. I had one in 9.3x57 that I had rechambered to 9.3x62 and it was a pocket rocket. It handled like a fine shotgun and the larger cartridge is a famous killer. Unfortunately, I already had a half safe full of safari rifles and an old friend from grade school wanted an elk rifle so I sold it to him . . . much to my later regret. He died before he ever got to use it and I haven't been able to find another like it. Renault, if one shows up in your shop will you give me a shout? You'll know the one I want. It's the one with the rounded, laid back pistol grip. I would have that thing rechambered and run off to Europe with it sooooo fast!

How safe would the 46 be rechambered for 9.3x62, seeing as it is the older Swedish model 94(96) action.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
The 62mm case isn't loaded to pressures any greater than the 57mm case, it just holds more powder. So long as one doesn't get either stupid or come down with a bad case of Weatherby-ness (not that there's a lot of difference!) and try and stuff the case to 110% capacity you should have no problem. Those actions are old but made of Swedish steel. They're strong.

Renault

One Too Many
Real issue is your limited to your bullet types if you rechamber one of the 46's. Your mag box is a bit shorter than the std 98 action. Will not handle the std 286 grain bullets well as bullet will stick out too far in most factory loads. And I do not think you can seat them deep enough if you hand loaded them. Prolly get away shooting the 250's and 232 factories. Definitely Should be able to handle the lighter bullets if you hand load them.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Yup. That's why I sold mine. With a .375 and an .404 what was the 9.3x62 for? However, that little Husky 46 with the round pistol grip was such a sweet handling thing. It made me want to go hunting on XC skis, for heaven's sake! I just want another, that's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy