Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari Express rifle pic thread

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
The .375 Finally arrived!!! :eusa_clap Just waiting on the .458.

SAFARI3.jpg

RCBS 350 grain .416 Remington Mould Pics

416CAST1.jpg

416CAST2.jpg

budrichard

Familiar Face
1949 Winchester Model 70 Supergrade 375 H&H with Factory Lyman.

WinM70Super375.jpg

This Model 70 is not drilled on the rear bridge as for the 375, Winchester only started drilling the rear bridge in late 1949. Consequently, there is really no way to mount a scope as all the other mounts of the period are just not strong enough for the 375.
Alas the gun is now in the hands of CSMC, traded along with all my other heavy rifles for new shotguns from CSMC. At 65 I don't have the desire to shoot these calibers anymore or experience injury from doing so.
But it is a beautiful example! I had it for over 20 years purchasing it from the family of the original owner after watching the gun for another 20 years!
I really like the looks of the new Winchester Safari Express rifles and the 416 Rem Mag is quite a cartridge. CSMC even has a Model 21 double in 416 Rem Magnum. It's quite a gun as I have handled it but again I had no desire to shoot it.-Dick

M21416REMD.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
Here's an early Griffin& Howe sporter in 7x57 (7mm Mauser) built on a Springfield 1903 action and topped with the classic Lyman 48 peep sight. Certainly not an "express" rifle and not a big bore but the lines are classic and a well placed shot from a 7mm will stop pretty much anything and there are records of hundreds of elephants kills with a 7mm. That being said, if I had a choice I'd never face any DG with anything short of a 375 H&H.

GH7mm.jpg

GH7mm2.jpg

budrichard

Familiar Face
During the early part of the 20th century factory rifles did not abound as they do today. Most/many made do with military rifles and cartridges of which the 7x57 was one. Bell used solid jacketed military bullets with shots to the brain for elephants. I do believe there is still caliber minimums for DG hunting in Africa.
Bell did not seek out the 7x57 because of its performance but simply because it's what he could obtain at reasonable cost at that time.
The pictured G&H rifle is an example of a Military action converted into a Sporting Arm. Many 03 actions were 'Sportorized' by hunters of that time.-Dick

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
What a great thread. Haven't been to FL in a while, but this one certainly got my attention. I particularly like that 7x57 of DG's as I am a fan of the nicer G&H '03 sporters anyway.

Duck

Practically Family
Does anyone have any experience with a 9.3 x 62 or 9.3 x 64? For some reason I am really wanting to build me one of these.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
My dad has a CZ in 9.3x62 and I've used it a bit on targets and on game. Its a great cartridge, mild recoil for the size and a nice big bullet that does the job. I really love the cartridge, it has a great history to it and has a large following in Europe. If you are not a magnum velociphile its wonderful.

Often compared to the 35 Whelan, but you have a better selection of bullets though in .366/9.3mm. (last time I looked not too many good offerings in 35...).

Very similar to the 9.3x74r I use but you can play around more with handloads in the 9.3x62 in a bolt action.

No experience with the 9.3x64 but its supposed to be very similar to the 375H&H.

Doublegun

Practically Family
What a great thread. Haven't been to FL in a while, but this one certainly got my attention. I particularly like that 7x57 of DG's as I am a fan of the nicer G&H '03 sporters anyway.

Thanks Clyde. Just got back from a week in northern MI with that little G&H and deer hunting will never be the same. My "go-to" rifle has always been a 30-06 pre-64 M70 but carrying that little sporter is just sublime.

I should also mention that I have another pre-64 M70 chambered in 300 H&H, a truly classic round for African plains game. Not very popular today (primarily because of the 300 Win Mag) the 300 H&H is probably the smoothest feeding 30 cal magnum cartridges ever produced.

Not to hi-jack this thread but I'm headed back "up north" later this week to hunt grouse with my setter "Tess" and I'll be carrying a 20 ga Parker DHE that dates back to the 20's...or maybe it'll be a 16 ga VH from 1905. Such a tough decision.

WH1

Practically Family
Got the wife her christmas present, a brand new Tikka T3 in .270 Win with a Leopuld Vari-X I 4x12x40 scope. It is a very nice shooter and is going to be a dandy for her on antelope, deer and elk for the coming year. We spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday sighting it in. Only thing better than shooting on the range with the wife is hunting birds with the wife and our dog Casey.

Last edited:

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
Got the wife her christmas present, a brand new Tikka T3 in .270 Win with a Leopuld Vari-X I 4x12x40 scope. It is a very nice shooter and is going to be a dandy for her on antelope, deer and elk for the coming year. We spent an enjoyable afternoon yesterday sighting it in. Only thing better than shooting on the range with the wife is hunting birds with the wife and our dog Casey.

That's a nice Christmas present WH!

Decodence

A-List Customer
A four-one-six Rigby on a CZ550 platform will hopefully be making its way into my safe very soon. Shame is the optics will eclipse the rifle in cost. I wish I could afford to go wtih a GMA Barreled receiver and some custom smithing, but $ just isn't there this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui