Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Safari So Good?

Markmyword

New in Town
Morning all,

Forgive my noobyness if this kind of thing has been covered before, but I need a spot of advice...

I am flying to London tomorrow evening for a small holiday. On Tuesday night, I will be attending a London movie premiere.

My question is this...

Could I get away with wearing a slim fitting beige safari suit, constructed entirely from highly flammable polyester?

Your thoughts are most welcome.

Kind regards,

Mark

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mark, welcome to the Lounge. It's nice to see that you value the sartorial advice of our members. I suppose that I'll chime in first.

Can you get away with a polyester safari suit? Well, in today's world of fashion atrocities I supposed anything is possible. Just my opinion but I would staying away from all polyester safari suits. First of all, it is polyester...or as many here at the FL would say "nastyester" fabric. Second, to me the safari suit was one of those misguided fashion statements of the 1970s that died out with the likes of J. R. Ewing, Saturday Night Fever, the hustle, etc. It was the end of result of taking a very classic (and fashionable) piece of attire - the cotton safari/bush jacket - and contorting it into something that someone thought to be "more fashionable" but ultimately not.

For an evening movie premiere, my suggestion would be to first select something besides beige in color, something darker for evening wear. Something very traditional might be along the lines of dark gray trousers paired with a navy blazer (double-breasted to be dressier), and perhaps a pale blue shirt with deep red or green tie and pocket square. For a sportier look, perhaps a gray suit paired with a black mock-turtleneck. There are definitely a lot of options out there, besides the polyester safari suit. You might want to check with the guru of classic style, Marc Chevalier (see the Chevalier Helps Your Outfits thread), for the best advice.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Mark, since you'll be fresh from Oz, I see nothing wrong with wearing a polyester safari suit to an occasion in London. It can be hard getting the trans-global clothing etiquette right and Londoners are a sanguine bunch with infinite tolerance of and a keen interest in colonial style variations.

I don't know if you remember this, but the great Australian Les Patterson used to swear by the polyester safari suit (when he wasn't wearing a powder blue crimplene tropical weight suit):

LesPatterson.jpg

;)

Mike, I think Mark is funning with us...

tjoek

New in Town
If it is a long sleeve safari, then you will be able to get away with it :)
However, seconded the suggestion on wearing dark coloured for evening and lighter colour for morning/afternoon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy